Jump to content

Lester Gilbert

Affiliated Member
  • Content Count

    107
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About Lester Gilbert

Personal Information

  • First Name
    Lester
  • Last Name
    Gilbert

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Hi Damian I guess if there were 3 skippers having trouble and 2 used Futaba, this might be right. But if there were 40 Futaba users in the event and 10 other brands, a different picture emerges.... Do you happen to know how many of the skippers were successfully using Futaba? My maths tutor always told us about the headline, "Dolphin saved my life". Yeah, he'd say, but how often do you hear of a swimmer returning saying, Damn dolphin killed me?
  2. Hi John Could you post a link to a page which explains how to do this, please? Many thanks!
  3. An early page of mine might be interesting. http://www.onemetre.net/Design/Bulbcant/BulbCant.htm
  4. Lester Gilbert

    RG65 and IRSA

    The RG65 Class – from an IRSA perspective In Q&A form V1.1 To be posted on the IRSA Web site shortly Q Can the RG65 class have a world championship? Not as it exists at present. Some time back WS delegated responsibility for the international administration of radio sailing to IRSA and it is through this affiliation that IRSA is able to grant the right to run WORLD championships in the rc international classes. WS protects the right to call a sailing event a world championship – claiming an event is one when it is not sanctioned by WS or IRSA is a breach of the WS rules and can result in competitors being excluded from legitimate sailing events. IRSA is the international class association for the Marblehead, Ten Rater and A Classes. The International One Metre has its own independent international class association, IOMICA, that is responsible for the administration of the IOM class and which is affiliated to IRSA. All these international classes hold world championships from time to time and the events are run under the guidance of IRSA’s & IOMICA’s regulations using the well known Appendix E of the Racing Rules of Sailing (RRS). In order that the RG65 class may hold any event titled ‘world championship’ it has to have international class status given by IRSA. Q Why is IRSA interested in the RG65 class? IRSA’s constitutional object is to develop the sport of RC sailing throughout the world, and to support any class that is popular internationally. The class appeals to a large number of builders because they can exploit exotic construction methods without the problems associated with larger scale building projects. Construction can be as convenient as on a kitchen table. Sail making can be accomplished in a relatively small space. The class is a ‘development’ or ‘open’ class so builders have freedom to improve performance that is deliberately blocked in ‘one design’ or ‘closed’ classes. The boat with all its rigs will comfortably fit into a well designed pack not much bigger than a box used to transport an IOM hull. The prospect of travelling by public transport, as well as by plane without having to pay for excess baggage, is a realistic one. The restriction on the number of rigs serves to restrict cost and complexity, and the boats can be sailed in a space as small as an Olympic swimming pool. A well set up RG65 performs remarkably well, so it is easy to see why the class is popular. Given the opportunity to hold world championships the class would inevitably attract greater number of participants and the level of competition in the class would increase enormously. It is essential that robust class rules are in place before that happens so that continued participation in the class does not become prohibitively expensive. Q What is required for the RG65 class to become recognised by IRSA? To gain international class status some straightforward, but important, standards have to be achieved. • The class has to have a certain number of boats across a certain number of continents and countries. • The class rules have to be written to a common standard, the WS Standard Class Rules (SCR) format. Whereas the numerical requirements are met, it is clear the requirement for WS SCR format class rules is not. Q Why is SCR format required for the class rules? Class rules written using the WS SCR format ensure that as far as possible the language used in class rules and the measurement methods employed are harmonised across the classes. Designers, builders, sail makers and measurers can then be confident of having a common understanding of class rules. Commonly used words like ‘boat’, ‘hull’, ‘hull appendage’ and a vast number of other similar boat part names are all very precisely defined in the Equipment Rules of Sailing (ERS) which is a stand-alone document available as a download from the WS website. Q What else in the existing class rules might need to be changed? An issue that would prevent the RG65 achieving international status is the tradition that the boats are measured by the owners with no independent checking. A complicating factor here is a lack of a prescribed system for measuring sail area. Another tradition in the class, that of being able to replace the fin/ballast unit after each day’s racing, is not permitted either by the class rules or the Racing Rules of Sailing. The current lack of restriction on the material used for the ballast means that tungsten (also known as Wolfram) and other exotic high density materials are permitted. The unwelcome cost implications of this in the long term are clear. The concept of having only three rigs in the class is a sound principle that works well in the IOM class. Whereas the IOM class has several safeguards to keep cost down (no exotic materials in the hull, minimum hull weight, wood or aluminium spars only, one design sails) there are no such restrictions in the RG65 class and construction costs are higher than they would be otherwise. It is probably too late to introduce some of these concepts into the RG65 class – as “the horse has already bolted”. But there are some things that can easily be achieved that will help keep the class popular in the long term and restrict escalation of costs. Q What would IRSA RG65 class rules look like? Briefly: • The class rules would be written in the WS SCR format using terms defined in the ERS. • The sail measurement system would be specified. • Ballast materials denser than lead would be prohibited. • A draught limit would be introduced. • Sail marks rules would be rationalised with those in Appendix E of the RRS. • The rules for racing will be specified as the RRS. • Changing the fin/ballast unit after each day’s racing could either be facilitated by the class rules or, alternatively, prohibited. • Measurement and certification of boats would be by independent official measurers. • Each national association would keep a register of officially certified boats. Q Why does there have to be a draught limit? The draught limit is to ensure all boats at an event can be guaranteed to be able to sail. From an IRSA point of view it is imperative that the Race Committee of an IRSA event does not find itself embarrassed because some competitors with class rule compliant boats cannot compete. Q How will revised RG65 class rules be created? Under the guidance of Gerd Mentges, a sub-committee of the IRSA TC has already produced a first draft of an international standardised version of the RG65 class rules. It incorporates much of what has been learned over the last two decades from the Marblehead and Ten Rater Class rules. It deals with the above points and the TC will spend some time checking and refining its content. Q Could the RG65 owners create their own international class rules? Perhaps, but it may take longer to arrive at a result that is satisfactory to IRSA. Q How would revised RG65 class rules be adopted? When it is felt the revised class rules are of sufficient quality the intention is to post them on the IRSA website. While IRSA cannot impose such rules on anybody, it is hoped the RG65 community will find they like what they see and, if they want to progress to holding the first world championship for the class, there will be a clear pathway to do so. Q What is the pathway to a first world championship for the RG65 class? That pathway would be: • Use the revised class rules. • Achieve sufficient registered boats in sufficient countries and continents. • Apply to IRSA for International Status. • Apply to hold a world championship. Q Could the RG65 class run its own affairs? IRSA would like to see the RG65 class form a class committee within the IRSA structure. Although currently organised on a regional structure of representation, IRSA is in the process of re-structuring into a class based organisation. When the RG65 class committee becomes self-sufficient, IRSA policy is that it should split off to become an independent ICA in the same way as IOMICA.
  5. "the triangle it forms with the windward mark is the Course Side" I think not for E3.5 or RRS 29.1. In the "bad start 1" diagram, green is on the course side of the starting line. Outside the triangle, but on the course side. "Course side" is not a defined term in the RRS. So it has its "ordinary" meaning. It may be worth quoting the I, Z, or black flag rules. 30.1 I Flag Rule [...] any part [...] is on the course side of the starting line or one of its extensions during the last minute before her starting signal 30.2 Z Flag Rule [...] no part [...] shall be in the triangle [...] during the last minute before her starting signal 30.3 Black Flag Rule [...] no part [...] shall be in the triangle [...] during the last minute before her starting signal Rule 30.1 uses the same words as 29.1, making the penalty region clearer by mentioning extending the starting line, and bans dipping the line. Rules 30.2 and 30.3 introduce a new idea for a penalty. They talk about a triangle *in the period leading up to the start*. The start itself is the same for 30.2 and 30.3 as it is for 30.1, and it is 29.1/E3.5 which tells us about recalling (giving information to) a boat that (it) is on the course side. The point of the triangle is to define a region where a penalty can be applied if a boat is found to be in that region during some specified period. The triangle region does not define what is "course side", and I do not think it is intended to define "course side".
  6. Might be worth quoting the rule (smile)... RRS E3.5 Individual Recall Rule 29.1 is changed to: When at a boat’s starting signal any part of the boat is on the course side of the starting line [...] A purist might wish it said, "on the course side of the starting line *or its extensions*", but I think its meaning is reasonably clear as it is.
  7. A couple of points might be worth making. RRS A5 tells us that only the protest committee may take (other) scoring actions that worsen a boat’s score. So no, the RO does not have the power to DSQ anyone. Following an incident on the water, a protest from a boat, the Race Committee, or the Protest Committee *may* be made; a protest is not mandatory (RRS 60.1, 60.2, and 60.3). Where the Race Committee is aware of an unresolved incident, it is considered good practice in radio sailing in the UK for the RC to protest the boats involved for a (gross) breach of the rules (MYA Race Management Guide). (When acting as an RO, I would consider boat on boat contact to be a gross breach of the rules, but not all ROs are of the same opinion.) It is then for the Protest Committee to hear the protest. Note that, although the time limit for protesting might have expired, the Protest Committee can extend the time limit for good reason (RRS 61.3). (Where the RO is aware of an unresolved incident, and then learns that one of the boats involved has retired, it is my opinion that the RO may conclude the incident is now resolved. Not all ROs are of the same opinion.)
  8. Alternatively, do not hail "I am out of control". Instead, use some other words, such as "I cannot steer" or "I have no way", or "I seem to be hooked up on some weed"... Hailing "I am out of control" invokes E2.3.
  9. Graham was asking about IRSA activities following the GA. News is given in a couple of places, particularly "http://www.radiosailing.org/main/administration/committee-reports/committee-reports.htm" http://www.radiosailing.org/main/administration/committee-reports/committee-reports.htm and "http://www.radiosailing.org/main/administration/committee-reports/committee-reports.htm" http://www.radiosailing.org/main/administration/committee-reports/committee-reports.htm We'll be calling soon for nominations to co-opt a Secretary, Racing Chairman, Publicity Officer, and Treasurer, and we'll shortly be publishing the agenda and papers for our forthcoming Executive Committee formal meeting following the GA. Lester Gilbert Chairman, IRSA Executive Committee http://www.radiosailing.org
  10. Might be worth mentioning that ISAF Case 125 in the 2013-2016 Case Book Supplement refers.
  11. I know that it is rather bad form to let the facts get in the way of a good argument, but there are a couple that might be worth mentioning. The late Ken Roberts (GBR) was the ISAF-RSD Regional Officer Oceania from 1999 to 2001. I don't know that anyone called that a farce. In any case, it is for the voters to make their choice, since there are two candidates for the office, and both sides have nominated a candidate accordingly. It is of course natural that, if regional representation is to continue, the representative should be from the region. However, CEEFIE have made no secret of their intention, if voted in, to remove regional representation FROM THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE (it REMAINS in IRSA DNM representation) and to replace it with class representation. The CEEFIE proposals are to establish class committees to reverse the decline of the International classes which have IRSA as their International Class Association. It is quite unclear how past Regional Officers have particularly contributed to IRSA by virtue of being Regional representatives, though their other contributions have doubtless been valuable. And again, it is for the voters to make their choice. What the DNMs rejected in 2009 was a transformation of ISAF-RSD into only an international multi-class association. No problem with such rejection, and there remains no problem. CEEFIE will MAINTAIN the existing regional and country representation by the DNM representatives. Instead, the CEEFIE proposals are to establish class committees to reverse the decline of the International classes which have IRSA as their International Class Association.
  12. Hi MYA sailors, we know these newsletters make riveting reading, but sadly this is probably our last... Dear IRSA DNM Our seventh, and, we believe, last e-mail "newsletter" to you (parts will also be posted on-line). Voting There are some DNMs who may not be familiar with the procedures for voting at the 2014 GA as laid down by the IRSA Executive Committee. Your DNM vote will NOT count if you do not notify the Secretary of the details of your DNM GA representative. The deadline for this is 23:00GMT on 25th April 2014 – you have one more day if you are BEL, CAN, CZE, FIN, FRA, ITA, JPN, POL, or POR. "Under clause 6.2 of the constitution, each Member is required to give written notice of their Representative prior to the appointed time for the start of the GA. However, in order that the necessary pre-meeting administration can be carried out, the deadline for this notification to be received by the General Secretary will be 23:00GMT on 25th April 2014 (ie 7 days prior to the formal commencement of the GA)." http://www.radiosailing.org/main/administration/general-assembly/GA-2014-main.htm, "Documents" tab, "Procedures and Notes applying to the GA" document. Your DNM vote will NOT count if your DNM GA representative does not register their attendance at the GA. "Where a Member has not registered their attendance at the meeting prior to agenda items (9) and (11) being dealt with, their vote will be excluded from the relevant count." "Procedures and Notes applying to the GA" document. Transparency Most radio sailors probably know more about the workings, discussions, and decisions of their national secret service than they do about IRSA. We will seek to change that. It is true that some things need to be discussed and decided behind closed doors. They tend to be things where people could get hurt or property damaged. Anything else is probably better discussed and decided openly. Errors are more likely to be spotted and constituents are more likely to feel that justice is being done and being seen to be done. If elected, • We will set up an IRSA Executive Committee blog site. Every quarter or thereabouts, each executive committee portfolio owner (Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer, Technical, Racing, Events, Infocomms, Classes) will blog about their portfolio matters. • A particular feature of the proposed blog site is to give visibility to likely future matters on the planning horizons of the various EC committees (Technical, Racing, Events, Classes). • We will publish how EC and committee officers vote on the proposals and resolutions which are put before them. We hope you are sympathetic to the CEEFIE manifesto, and ask that you please vote for the CEEFIE candidates. CEEFIE are a determined group of concerned volunteers from a large variety of backgrounds with a common goal of wishing to make a difference in our sport, please help us achieve this by electing the whole group in May. The CEEFIE candidates Chairman Lester Gilbert (GBR) Vice Chairman Eric van der Kindere (BEL) General Secretary / Treasurer Henning Faas (GER) Racing Committee Chairman Nigel Winkley (GER) Technical Committee Chairman Graham Bantock (GBR) Organisation & Policy Committee Chairman Terry Rensch (GBR) Publicity Officer Pedro Egea (ESP) Regional Officer Americas Patrice Montero (FRA) Regional Officer Europe Matteo Longhi (ITA) Regional Officer Oceania Selwyn Holland (AUS)
  13. As election fever engulfs the DNM electors, we thought GBR sailors might be interested in the CEEFIE newsletter to DNM representatives on racing and event rules. Dear IRSA DNM Our sixth e-mail "newsletter" to you (parts will also be posted on-line). It deals with racing rules administration and event rules. We will seek to introduce procedures to yield the kinds of rules that radio sailors want. These will cover the effective management of the four-year cycle of Appendix E changes, as well as racing systems, event management, and competitor eligibility and ranking. We will seek to establish a new Events Committee. Racing rules The Racing Rules Committee will, in consultation with stakeholders, seek to develop and then implement IRSA regulations for managing input into the ISAF four-year cycle of rule changes to Appendix E. The management process will emphasise transparent consultation with all stakeholders and will provide a schedule of actions in each year of the cycle. Event rules The proposed Events Committee will, in consultation with stakeholders, seek to develop and then implement new IRSA regulations for managing changes to and improvement of the IRSA recommended racing system, IRSA SSIs, IRSA Addendum Q, guidelines for event management, competitor eligibility, and will re-draft the Championship Regulations. It is expected that such revised regulations will emphasise transparent consultation with all stakeholders. The Events Committee will, in consultation with stakeholders, seek to propose new IRSA regulations for a Worldwide ranking list of radio sailors. The Events Committee will, in consultation with stakeholders, seek to propose new IRSA guidelines and possibly regulations for an IRSA recommended race scoring software system. The CEEFIE candidates CEEFIE are a determined group of concerned volunteers from a large variety of backgrounds with a common goal of wishing to make a difference in our sport, please help us achieve this by electing the whole group. Chairman: Lester Gilbert (GBR) Vice Chairman: Eric van der Kindere (BEL) General Secretary / Treasurer: Henning Faas (GER) Racing Committee Chairman: Nigel Winkley (GER) Technical Committee Chairman: Graham Bantock (GBR) Organisation & Policy Committee Chairman: Terry Rensch (GBR) Publicity Officer: Pedro Egea (ESP) Regional Officer Americas: Patrice Montero (FRA) Regional Officer Europe: Matteo Longhi (ITA) Regional Officer Oceania: Selwyn Holland (AUS)
  14. As is becoming traditional, we thought GBR sailors might be interested in the CEEFIE newsletter dealing with the IRSA Executive Committee, sent recently to the IRSA Delegated National Members. Dear DNM This is our fifth newsletter to you, setting out our policy intentions for a better IRSA. The topic in this newsletter is our plan for developing the Executive Committee structure. Summary We will review the EC Administration and the EC committees and will make recommendations to bring the EC up to date and make it fit for purpose. While IRSA Membership, the DNMs, will continue to follow the ISAF model of regional membership, we expect that the EC structure will move from regional representation to an EC with a class based representation system. In addition to class committees, we expect to put the right people in the right places for measurement, treasurer, elections, events, and information and communications. Review of governance documents The Chairman will be tasked with conducting a comprehensive review of IRSA Administration (Constitution, Regulations, and Committee and Officer terms of reference) and with making recommendations to bring these up to date and fit for purpose. Measurement committee We will consult on the establishment of a Measurement committee to provide support for IRSA classes. Its purpose would be to develop International Measurers in liaison with ISAF, liaise with ISAF on the Equipment Rules of Sailing as they may affect radio sailing, develop improved and cost-effective measurement for IRSA and other radio classes, develop tools and procedures to support electronic measurement certificates which would be acceptable internationally as well as nationally, and investigate new developments, such as ISAF procedures for In-House Certification of sails. Treasurer The incoming Executive Committee will be tasked with conducting a review of the office of Secretary/Treasurer and delivering recommendations to address the increasingly difficult circumstances surrounding the management of IRSA finances. It is expected that a constitutional position of “Treasurer” will be established. Elections Officer In the run-up to the IRSA EC elections of 2014, we saw an unconstitutional attempt by the IRSA EC to refuse the nomination of a candidate. We saw interference with a free and fair election process by the IRSA EC who issued party political “statements” in the name of the IRSA EC. We saw the abuse of IRSA EC authority in the issuing of “communiques” in the name of the IRSA EC whose contents were entirely party political and quite divorced from the legitimate business of the EC. To reduce the possibility of similar actions in the future, we will seek appropriate constitutional and regulatory changes so that the EC election process is controlled by an independent Elections Officer who is not an interested party to the election. Events, Infocomms Our proposals for committees for Events, and for Infocomms, will be the subjects of our next newsletters. The CEEFIE candidates CEEFIE are a determined group of concerned volunteers from a large variety of backgrounds with a common goal of wishing to make a difference in our sport, please help us achieve this by electing the whole group. Chairman: Lester Gilbert (GBR) Vice Chairman: Eric van der Kindere (BEL) General Secretary / Treasurer: Henning Faas (GER) Racing Committee Chairman: Nigel Winkley (GER) Technical Committee Chairman: Graham Bantock (GBR) Organisation & Policy Committee Chairman: Terry Rensch (GBR) Publicity Officer: Pedro Egea (ESP) Regional Officer Americas: Patrice Montero (FRA) Regional Officer Europe: Matteo Longhi (ITA) Regional Officer Oceania: Selwyn Holland (AUS)
  15. I thought that GBR sailors might be interested in the fourth CEEFIE newsletter we've recently sent to the IRSA DMNs. Dear IRSA DNM, This is our fourth e-mail "newsletter" to you displaying our combined determination to modernise and move the IRSA into a new era that we can all be proud to be a member of. Following are a range of very specific goals in terms of Class Administration we will be looking to implement should you elect our group into the IRSA Executive Committee. Class Administration: A Core Initiative From The CEEFIE Group While IRSA is responsible for the M, 10R, and A, there is no IRSA Executive Committee activity which specifically administers these classes and which specifically promotes them. Therefore, we will seek to establish a committee for each of these classes from the elected Executive Committee which will operate as an international class association. In addition, we will actively seek applications for recognition from other classes which are raced internationally (RG 65, for instance). These IRSA international class associations will not displace any regional or country based association but rather work with them to advance and enhance their class. • Each executive class committee will operate as an international class association, tasked with managing and promoting its class. • Each executive class committee will authorise its World Championships (and any other International events) with Events Committee support and manage its class rules with Technical Committee support. • For each executive class committee, an early task will be to clarify the International status of their class with respect to the requirements laid down in the Regulations. • For the M and 10R Class committees, their class rules will be brought up to date and a number of recent technical issues addressed with Technical Committee support. • For the A Class committee, a long-overdue and substantial rewrite of the class rules in ISAF Standard Class Rules format will be undertaken with Technical Committee support. • We will encourage the formation of independent International class associations for the IRSA classes. • We will seek applications for recognition from other internationally active classes which will find such recognition attractive when they understand how IRSA wishes to grant them autonomy and support them along with rights to hold World and other international championships. • As an early example of being proactive in demonstrating overdue support, the Technical Committee will draft an ISAF Standard Class Rules version of the current RG65 class rules for that class to use should it want to. • As other new classes emerge in the international arena, the IRSA will also cooperate with them to support this growth in whatever way we can. If the IRSA takes a proactive lead in international radio yachting, then we will all grow in a unified way rather than haphazard and neglected. We will sustain the autonomy of IOMICA while providing IRSA support, adhering to the spirit and intent of the original ISAF-RSD / IOMICA Agreement of 2003 that IOMICA shall authorise International events for the IOM. We will re-sign the Agreement that has lapsed since RSD became IRSA. CEEFIE are a determined group of concerned volunteers from a large variety of backgrounds with a common goal of wishing to make a difference in our sport, please help us achieve this by electing the whole group in May. Not to take these initiatives would be to risk the possibility that the IRSA classes will fall even further behind to where they should be. Please let us tidy up this important international association for and with all the radio sailors of the world. This newsletter was completed by Selwyn, Matteo, and Patrice. Any correspondence, questions, points of clarification, or if you just want to chat, feel free to email us. Kind regards Patrice Montero (candidate for Regional Office Americas) patrice@ordiaix.com Matteo Longhi (candidate for Regional Office Europe) matteolonghi@ymail.com Selwyn Holland (candidate for Regional Office Oceania) selwyn.holland@gmail.com The CEEFIE candidates Chairman: Lester Gilbert (GBR) Vice Chairman: Eric van der Kindere (BEL) General Secretary / Treasurer: Henning Faas (GER) Racing Committee Chairman: Nigel Winkley (GER) Technical Committee Chairman: Graham Bantock (GBR) Organisation & Policy Committee Chairman: Terry Rensch (GBR) Publicity Officer: Pedro Egea (ESP) Regional Officer Americas: Patrice Montero (FRA) Regional Officer Europe: Matteo Longhi (ITA) Regional Officer Oceania: Selwyn Holland (AUS)
×
×
  • Create New...