Michael Thomas

Recommendations please

Hi I am relatively new to radio sailing and currently have been sailing a DF 65 for about 12 months with varying degrees of success. I have come from big bot sailing.

The club to which I belong has a small fleet of IOM's and I am keen to move up. However there is a huge difference of opinion of what model is suitable for my needs so I thought I'd ask around.

The lake we sail on is in a depression with dense trees on both the north and western sides. Our control area is on the Eastern shore. Winds are generally light and variable with very little in the way of waves.

I am looking to improve my skills with a used boat with of price not exceeding £300 preferably in GRP. This is only for club racing I have no intention to go further at present.

I have an option on a Peter Wiles Krcar in need of some restoration but some members have indicated this is not a suitable model for our lake but what do I know.

Opinions would be welcome

Thanks Michael

Hi Michael,

Although not familiar with the Krcar, Peter Wiles is usually found at the top end of competition and his other designs are still very useful performers so I can see no reason why this design should not "be suitable for your lake"

£300 is not a huge budget so, in my opinion, good quality sails and mast in good condition with decent foils (fin and rudder), possibly together with a modern ballast are the most important considerations. These will contribute more than anything to performance, far more then the hull.  So if your boat ticks some , or all of these boxes then go for it.

With the above; most modern hulls and the Krcar is such, are quite capable of good competitive sailing.

Let the forum know what you decide, Michael.

Richard

Michael

The Krcar was a development of the Oscar, both designs from Peter Wiles PJ sails. The Krcar was produced to improve the higher wind speed performance of the boat by enabling the rig to sit lower. (Skiff type deck rather than flat)  From memory the Oscar was a good light wind performer so the Krcar should also be good in those conditions as the hull was of the same design. (Shape) If you look on PJ sails web site the two designs are in the catalogue.

As Richard pointed out the main considerations for performance is the sail/rig condition followed by fin quality.  The sails are relatively easy upgrade, the mast is important for performance also relatively easy to change, the fin is not an easy upgrade.

Why not give Peter Wiles a ring and ask him about the designs strengths and weakness, he has always been  helpful when I have contacted him.

As Richard said do let us know what is your final choice.

Eric

Michael

Just had a look at boats for sale and the Italico if not sold could make a good starter boat for the class, Any  Sailsetc yacht well setup will be a good choice, most if not all are good light air performing boats and also seem to tack well. Which from your lake description would seem to be main requirements. 

Eric

Hi All and many thanks for your advice.

I looked at the Italico that was advertised on the site and dismissed that. It was very tatty and appeared to be very flimsy and to my eye constructed of blown plastic similar to the DF boats which on my understanding of the rules is not class compliant. Certainly not worth the £350 asking price.

I've bought the Krcar for £180. It came with two rigs and two sets of sails the A rig in Mylar appears a little old and a B rig n scrim which has hardly been used, both suits are by PJ Sails.

There was a rudder servo fitted but no sail winch and I have obtained a Hitec drum winch, which although not the fastest was free. I had to make a new servo tray which is now fitted. I've removed all the deck fittings and prepared the hull and deck for a respray.

Ongoing work when I can fit it in but it should be on the water by mid summer.

Next quandary I have is should I buy a DF 95?

Michael.

1 hour ago, Michael Thomas said:

Hi All and many thanks for your advice.

I looked at the Italico that was advertised on the site and dismissed that. It was very tatty and appeared to be very flimsy and to my eye constructed of blown plastic similar to the DF boats which on my understanding of the rules is not class compliant. Certainly not worth the £350 asking price.

I've bought the Krcar for £180. It came with two rigs and two sets of sails the A rig in Mylar appears a little old and a B rig n scrim which has hardly been used, both suits are by PJ Sails.

There was a rudder servo fitted but no sail winch and I have obtained a Hitec drum winch, which although not the fastest was free. I had to make a new servo tray which is now fitted. I've removed all the deck fittings and prepared the hull and deck for a respray.

Ongoing work when I can fit it in but it should be on the water by mid summer.

Next quandary I have is should I buy a DF 95?

Michael.

Buy the 95! Truly one design, no agonising about which model is fastest. The best " driver" wins and a beginner moves up the fleet as they learn and improve.

Bought a DF 95 to compliment my DF 65 and metre. Not as pretty as the metre and the purist will probably  bulk at this but it was second hand, has only used once and  was an absolute bargain over the price of a new one.  My club sails these one a fortnight so just waiting for the opportunity to race her in a couple of weeks time.