36R Information

Gareth

I have been given a bare fibre-glass 36R hull which I would like to build as a vane steered model.  I have been told the hull is a Jagermeister by Martin Dovey but unfortunately he no longer has  any drawings of that design, which is about 30 years old.  The hull came with a keel weight which seems to my inexpert eye to be a bit on the heavy side at 3.75 kg.  Does anyone have any information on this design or could anyone advise me whether the keel weight is likely to be correct?

Gareth Jones

I have tried putting the hull in our pond with the keel weight in approximately the correct position.  The water line came up to less than 10 mm above the bottom of the stem and just on the bottom edge of the transom.  On this basis I think the weight will probably be OK after all, provided I fix it in the correct location longitudinally on the centreline.  However any advice would be gratefully received.

Gareth

36R 1.JPG

36R 2.JPG

• 11 months later...

From your description I think the hull could carry a little more lead forward .I would add more forward until stern and stem are at water level this will then give you all up weight for fitting out rig and steering gear. Remember that the steering gear is hung on the aft end and allow for this.

Hi John,

Thanks for responding to my 36R query.  In the absence of any feedback when I first posted the question I went ahead and finished the yacht using the supplied keel weight 'as is' on the basis that if the worst came to the worst, I could shave some lead off the sides of the weight.   In sailing condition with the vane fitted, the bottom of the stem and transom are both slightly below the water line, probably by about 5 mm.  I spoke to Ray Baker at Gosport last August and he suggested the boat is a bit heavy and it would be worth reducing the ballast weight to get them both just at the waterline.  The yacht was measured at Fleetwood last October and has now been registered.  We test sailed it for a couple of hours at Fleetwood the following day and it seemed to perform well, although we did not have any opposition to compare its performance with.  The final all up  weight in sailing configuration came out to be just under 11 lbs.

I have decided to leave the keel weight for now and my plan was to sail it in a few of the Fleetwood 36R events this year and see how it performs.  I joined as a country member this year as there are no suitable free sailing waters or events near where we live in East Yorkshire.  Alas that plan seems to have been overtaken by events.  I have attached a couple of photos of the finished yacht and there are some additional ones taken during the build on the Model Boats forum with a link to those here:- https://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=142365

Gareth

Kelpie2.JPG

Kelpie1.JPG