ianrmcdonald

Posting without your real name

Posted (edited)

My limited experience of RC sailors is that generally they are a friendly and open bunch.

Why are a significant number of people posting on the forum not using their given name?

Edited by ianrmcdonald

Some of us belong to several fora, most of which have nothing to do with model yachting and for which a degree of anonymity is considered sensible. Using the same name on all of them is a matter of pragmatism.  

Hi, my name is Stan. 

• Like 1

Darin

Not convinced this still happens. I've tried this a few times in an attempt to find location of poster's selling items and could not find a real identity. Please check some recent members as I think this has possible occurred since the forum update. Please let me know the result.

Eric  

16 hours ago, Darin Ballington said:

Ian,

if you login and tap on the avatar/name you will see the real name of the member.

Darin

That was mainly the reason for my post. The forum used to give the option of checking the "real " name or at least the name used to register but this does not seem to be there now. Highly unlikely , but surely especially discussing the sale of items without a real name is less than perfect online?

You can now see the real name if you open the members profile. Its not shown on the hover card, you have to click on the member name or avatar and view the profile.

On 21/05/2019 at 12:19, ianrmcdonald said:

but surely especially discussing the sale of items without a real name is less than perfect online?

Even if you have the real name never rely on this as being safe. We have many forum members that are not MYA members so always ensure you follow the guidelines below.

10 hours ago, Austin said:

You can now see the real name if you open the members profile. Its not shown on the hover card, you have to click on the member name or avatar and view the profile.

Even if you have the real name never rely on this as being safe. We have many forum members that are not MYA members so always ensure you follow the guidelines below.

Thank you Austin. And thanks to you ( and others) in keeping  MYA visible and well presented on the internet.

Posted (edited)

And shouldnt those using the advantages of the MYA forum to sell items also contribute to the cost by being a member?  

Edited by ianrmcdonald
Correction

2 hours ago, ianrmcdonald said:

And shouldnt those using the advantages of the MYA forum to sell items also contribute to the cost by being a member?  

Possibly, it's something that we will discuss at council going forward. If the classifieds is restricted to MYA members only we would not be helping newcomers into our sport. Also boats come up for sale from non MYA members that would not appear hear at all if we get too restrictive. It's a tricky one and from experience difficult to get right.

If I or any other forum moderator can see an individual abusing the system we would remove their adds.

Posted (edited)

No worries. I simply thought that the effort  that you and other moderators put in, should result in some return for the  Mya. 

Edited by ianrmcdonald
Correction