Spektrum DX6i Information

I am familiar with radio control from having built and used analog systems but now I'm puzzled.  I've recently acquired a DX6i and while the sizeable manual is full of stuff it is not at all clear on some topics.    I am slowly getting to grips with this digital system but still don't get why some channels can be adjusted from 0% to 125% but have a default setting of 100%.  Is this to do with their use on aircraft?  Has anyone written a book that explains more about RC and in particular the Spektrum  as applied to sailing?

Cheers

Trevor

If the servo is set up so that 100% of the stick movement coincides with the total desired movement of the controlled surface you will be able to make a fine adjustment to the end point. The DX6i has the facility for exponential which can soften the immediate response of the servo - useful to prevent overshooting when making turns, Try 30% on your rudder. On the left stick you can use the throttle curve to make the stick less sensitive as the sails are pulled in. This makes it easier to control the last 10 degrees of movement of the sails to finely tune them when heading into the wind. I would add I know little about sailing as a newcomer but I've been flying rc planes since before 2.4ghz came out. I suggest you go to the local rc flying field with your gear - there will be someone there who can show you all the features of the DX6i.

Cheers Ian

Thanks Ian

Yes that makes sense.  Thinking in aircraft logic Ailerons might want to move the same up as down as they work in opposite directions but Elevators might want to go down less than up.  I can see why the default is 100%.  If you needed to go more than 125% you perhaps need a different servo arm?

I had thought of using the exponential feature on the rudder so might experiment with both later on.

Cheers

Trevor

OK now I've got Exponential set up on the Rudder and I've also discovered the dual rate/expo switch so I have 30% set on position 0 and 60% on 1 so I can experiment.  Sadly the sheets are on the Throttle channel which has no exponential facility!  

I've not got a DX6i but so I can't check but there should be a throttle curve function. This enables you to change the response at varying points as the stick moves relative to the servo. If you imagine the normal response of an ic engine to throttle input, a lot happens in the first small movements of the control. As the control is moved the response is diminishes. Think of driving your car. This is exactly the opposite response you need when pulling in the sails. You need a lot to happen quickly at first and then some fine control as they near the centre line. You can tinker with the curve on the 'throttle' stick to make its response more suitable for sailing. You are in fact mimicking an exponential curve. Hope this helps.

Ian

1 hour ago, Crashard said:

I've not got a DX6i but so I can't check but there should be a throttle curve function. This enables you to change the response at varying points as the stick moves relative to the servo. If you imagine the normal response of an ic engine to throttle input, a lot happens in the first small movements of the control. As the control is moved the response is diminishes. Think of driving your car. This is exactly the opposite response you need when pulling in the sails. You need a lot to happen quickly at first and then some fine control as they near the centre line. You can tinker with the curve on the 'throttle' stick to make its response more suitable for sailing. You are in fact mimicking an exponential curve. Hope this helps.

Ian

Hi Crashard

Yes the DX6i does have a comprehensive throttle curve function but only if you are using the Helicopter programs! One of the first programming steps is to choose which Model Type, ACRO or HELI.  That does beg the question as to whether Helicopter mode will work for sailing.   If I get desperate for more subtle control I might try that!

Cheers

Trevor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
21 minutes ago, Paul Whybrow said:

I have a DX6i , I cannot get the throttle to engage with the motor. The. Receiver is AR6100, all servo s work, except the flaps work on the throttle stick. Needless to say I am a beginner. Can any one help please???

Either you have something plugged into the Receiver wrong or the Transmitter is set up wrong.  Has this setup ever worked?  Is it all new to you?  Perhaps you could pull all the servos out of the RX and plug the throttle servo/ESC into each position until it works.  The TX can do some clever stuff with channel mapping so you may need to  do a reset and start from scratch.  If you don't have them the manuals are available to download.

Cheers

Trevor

Thanks for that, the problem being is that the motor is connected directly into esc as well as the battery. The esc will only work when plugged into the battery slot.  I think it’s a program problem, have not played with the set up yet! 

I don't quite follow what you are saying.  The ESC must be plugged into the Throttle slot on the RX or it wont receive a signal.  Nothing is plugged into the RX battery slot unless you have a separate battery for the TX in which case the Red lead from the ESC must be disconnected.   This is from the Spektrum manual.image.png.0edf2aa5b5991bc2e836c8205e9a886e.png

4 hours ago, Trevor said:

I don't quite follow what you are saying.  The ESC must be plugged into the Throttle slot on the RX or it wont receive a signal.  Nothing is plugged into the RX battery slot unless you have a separate battery for the TX in which case the Red lead from the ESC must be disconnected.   This is from the Spektrum manual.image.png.0edf2aa5b5991bc2e836c8205e9a886e.png

Thanks for getting back so quickly. I will run a check on the esc. 
Paul