• 11 months later...

I was really impressed by the DF95 after looking at the design process it went through and the great value for money. So I bought one and remained impressed. Only niggle was the rudder tube play; practically auxilliary steering ! I had proposed adoption of the class by our club; Loughborough Radio Yacht Club. I took the boat to Charnworth Lake one Sunday morning to allow members to play with it.  Now Charnworh is renowned for it's fickle/absent wind and here is the point of this missive.

The IOM's simply left the DF95 for dead in the light wind. Embarrassingly so in fact. There was the little chap bobbing about not even reaching the windward mark as it was lapped. Sadly the experience was repeated several months later when another member bought one and brought it along. Thanks Andy.

The boat is great and has rigs down to D, for heavens sake. I know it is a delight to sail in windy conditions and I know that top rig size was determined by "postability" but it desperately needs a decent top rig for light conditions. I toyed with doing that because I like "developing"  but decided to sell the boat on instead.

Richard

• Site Admin
18 hours ago, Richard98 said:

I was really impressed by the DF95 after looking at the design process it went through and the great value for money. So I bought one and remained impressed. Only niggle was the rudder tube play; practically auxilliary steering ! I had proposed adoption of the class by our club; Loughborough Radio Yacht Club. I took the boat to Charnworth Lake one Sunday morning to allow members to play with it.  Now Charnworh is renowned for it's fickle/absent wind and here is the point of this missive.

The IOM's simply left the DF95 for dead in the light wind. Embarrassingly so in fact. There was the little chap bobbing about not even reaching the windward mark as it was lapped. Sadly the experience was repeated several months later when another member bought one and brought it along. Thanks Andy.

The boat is great and has rigs down to D, for heavens sake. I know it is a delight to sail in windy conditions and I know that top rig size was determined by "postability" but it desperately needs a decent top rig for light conditions. I toyed with doing that because I like "developing"  but decided to sell the boat on instead.

Richard

DF95 is never going to compete with an IOM in any wind conditions (well maybe a storm as it can keep going on d rig when IOM C rig is still to big). It was never meant to just like an IOM can't compete with a Marblehead. We have raced a fleet of DF95's in the lightest of breezes with out any issue. and I can't see the benefit of another rig for how little use it would get (probably less than the D which I have used 3-4 times in over 2 years).