Sign in to follow this  
Biggles

Oliver Lee "Trapper" Marblehead

I think I've bought an Oliver Lee Trapper yacht, I've looked on the Internet and can't any information or photos to confirm what I've got.

I have an A rig and 2 other sails that have never been used. 

Any help gratefully received, thank you!

Hi, Oliver Lee died many years ago, he was a yacht designer of some repute not just models just check the internet and you will find lots more info. Mike Golding ex Trapper sailor.

Dont have any photos but the trapper marblehead was a nice yacht for its time , generally in glass with a rounded deck , basically no sharp edges anywhere, wont be competitive now but will sail nicely also generally conventional rig.

Mike Ewart

Posted (edited)
On 16/09/2019 at 12:24, Biggles said:

I think I've bought an Oliver Lee Trapper yacht, I've looked on the Internet and can't any information or photos to confirm what I've got.

I have an A rig and 2 other sails that have never been used. 

Any help gratefully received, thank you!

I worked with Oliver Lee many years ago, we manufactured model yachts, the one I was involved with was a 1metre f/glass hull from what I remember maybe 1 1/2 metre ,I have a photo of Olivers, I think, prototype Trapper, but I fancy the one I was involved with was not a Trapper.. Graham Spraggins Rochford.

4867C9CC-A744-4661-9116-30ED9954620C.jpeg

Edited by Graham
Photo.

Hi I am sure Oliver also did a 1 1/2 metre yacht not too many made but sailed nicely intended I think as a one design class

Mike Ewart

I had a "proper" sized Oliver Lee boat- an Anderson 26, and he knew how to design a pretty and quick boat...

Larry

New IOM sailor

North Essex

6 hours ago, Mike Ewart said:

Hi I am sure Oliver also did a 1 1/2 metre yacht not too many made but sailed nicely intended I think as a one design class

Yes, I think it was an attempt to get a one design class started that never caught on.

This thread has prompted me to have a look through some old files, and in an attempt to assist with the original post have located this photo of my Trapper, which I think was the Mark 6 version. This was the final version before it was replaced by the Tracer design.

I know my boat was originally registered in 1985 and suspect this photo was taken around that time.

Trapper.jpg