Sign in to follow this  
MarkG

Help to identify a yacht. Possibly Tony Abel.

Hi All,

I'm a long time RC aircraft flyer with a hankering to try sail, so when an elderly friend offered me his old yacht I accepted gratefully.

It is 8 ft. from keel to mast top and 50 inches bow to stern. Glass hull, sails by P J Sails.

It has not been in the water for years and will need a bit of fettling before it gets wet again.

My friend couldn't tell me what model it was or which class it would fit into.

I found a Tony Abel card in the hull and it also has a Tony Abel sail winch servo.

Any help appreciated.

Mark.

DSCF3250.JPG

Edited by MarkG

If the hull is 50 inches long, the yacht is almost certainly a Marblehead of some design, although I don't know which. Don't think it is a Moonraker, which was kitted by Nylet. Frank Parsons at Nylet could probably confirm that either way. Think there was a "Kingfisher" design around , as well.

Despite the card and the winch, it may not actually be a Tony Abel boat.  I bought a Vic Smeed designed "Harem" Marblehead some time ago  which was advertised as Tony Abel boat, simply because it had several of his stickers attached!.

Edited by tiggy_cat

Hi

Thanks for that. I did occur to me that it may not actually be by Tony Abel, I've edited the title.

Perhaps I'll contact Nylet.

Thanks.

Mark.