Start Line incident

Vinnie Zammit

Interesting incident that happened just last weekend.

Boat A was approaching the Start line on Starboard, with about 5-6 seconds to go.

Boat B was approaching the start line on Port at the same time.

Just before the start, boat B, (still on Port) collided with boat A (still on starboard) just forward of amidships on Boat A's leeward side and forced both himself and boat A over the line.

The start signal sounded and the principle race officer called both boats over the line.The rest of the fleet started correctly and sailed on.

Both boats returned back over the start line and re started. Boat B after doing his penalty turn.

Was the Race Officer correct, in his actions.

Yes. The PRO was correct.

This is covered in ISAF Q&A Case C 001 Q&A 2014.015

Published: 4 August 2014

Just because a boat forced you over early, does not remove the requirement to for you to come back and start correctly.

John

John Ball

IOM CAN 307 (V8)

In my private capacity

Hi Darin,

No, there is nothing in the cases that removes the obligation to start correctly. For example, you cannot do an R 44 penalty - you must come back and restart.

Some 'big boat' long distance race SIs may allow a time penalty instead - but that is not for us.

The case that I mentioned was a an R 30.3 Black flag start. In that case a Protest Committee could exonerate the ROW boat from the black flag under R 64.1.a, but the boat must still start correctly.

John

John Ball

IOM CAN 307 (V8)

In my private capacity

Hi Vinnie,

Yes, you did the right thing.

R 29.2 General Recall is allowed if there are 'unidentified' boats, or if the RC made a procedural error. As neither of these conditions existed, it would have been wrong to make a General Recall.

John

John Ball

IOM CAN 307 (V8)

In my private capacity