MPI S100-MG Winch

Michael Golding

Hi, is anyone currently using a MPI S100 winch. I have purchased one and about to install it in my IOM running with a 7.4v battery. The spec is very impressive, along with running it without any load on a bench sounds to good to be true at half the price of a RMG and with a IP rating. Thanks 

There was a post on the International IOM Facebook page some time ago about the Kingmax sail winch which is supposedly up to the job and much cheaper at under £35. Can this possibly work at this price and is it worth a punt? The link is http://www.bettynoirphotography.co.uk/rc-servo-kingmax-sw22hv-68g-22kgcm-digital-metal-gears-sail-winch-servo-17t-programmable-dual-ball-bearings-waterproof-for-rc-boats-airplanes-kuxr07-p-4750.html . 

I have happily used Kingmax sail winch servos for some time. When you buy from some outlets they say that the servos are programmable but you can only seem to buy them preset in terms of number of turns,  almost all of them have the same rotation rate etc.

For the sw22hv, it would seem to be able to be set to what you want except that you have to have  the means to do it . I believe that you need this little gizmo to do it 

https://www.amazon.com/KINGMAX-22kg-cm-programmable-Bearings-Waterproof/dp/B07SMSWVF8.  Does anyone know any different ?

I have used the version of the King Max winch sold by Component Shop (link https://www.componentshop.co.uk/61g-digital-sail-winch-servo-6-turn-programmable.html?___SID=U }. as a replacement for both whirlwind and Eurgle winches with success in both IOM and Marblehead yachts. I set the number of turns on my radio's end point adjust. this needs to be set accurately as I did manage to burn out one winch when the boat was on the bank, I left the winch turned on and it was pulling against a locked pulley line system, my fault for the failure not the winches. Other than that the winch has operated reliably. It cannot compete against a RMG  for performance but is at least a 1/5th of the cost and half the weight. The only issue is a badly fitting winch drum, it works but not the best. I have subsequently used drums from defunct Eurgle's which now appear to have disappeared from the market. The speed of the winch does make gybing when running more difficult but no different to a Whirlwind. 

There is a version of the King Max winch available from Hobby King which has less available torque but faster rotation, I have intended to try one in an IOM but fitted Eurgle refused to die and the boat has now been laid up as current boat has a RMG. fitted. ( I have one of these winches in my spares box for future trial.)

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used this winch since 2017 in 2  different IOM's and have nothing but praise for it. It is lighter, faster, cheaper (around £100)  and simpler to programme than a RMG. During the time I have used it has been faultless. The only comment I would make is that in the most recent version the drum has been changed from the usual split section type to a continuous single groove variety which I do not like quite so much.

The winch is available in the UK from Dave Potter, or from Pierre Gonet in France.