My 2020 Race Calendar

During this year I have done a lot of sailing, I guess making up for loss time in the past. So today I had a look at the proposed 2020 race calendar. After making my own racing wish list,  it looks like I’m going to be busy for another year.  Is there anyone else thinking they are going to have a busy year?

26 Jan
6m Open at Fleetwood

Travelled 568 miles, Travel Budget £85

08 Mar

Northern District (IOM) Open - Askern

Travelled 482 miles, Travel Budget £85 (1050m /  £170)

14 - 15 Mar
10r Ranking Race 1/2 at Lincoln

Travelled 428 miles, Travel Budget £80 (1478m / £250)

29 Mar

6m Open Race  at Fleetwood

Cancelled

23 - 24 May
RM Ranking Race 2/3 at Fleetwood

Cancelled

9 - 19 June
World Championships at West Kirby

Cancelled

27 June
6m Open at Harwich and Dovercourt

Cancelled

11 July
IOM Ranking Race 3 at Coalhouse Fort

Cancelled

26 - 27 July

RM Championship at Manor Park

Cancelled

2 - 7 August
Vane A-Week at Gosport

Cancelled

23 August
Northern District (IOM)  Championship at Keighley

Cancelled

29 - 31 August 
(IOM) Championships at Fleetwood

Cancelled

19 - 20 Sept
(US1m) Championship at Sacremento, USA

Cancelled

27 September
 Tri - Services Services (IOM) Championships at Gosport

Cancelled

24 - 25 October
(IOM) Ranking Races 5/6 at Manor Park.

Cancelled

31 October - 01 November 
(6mtr) Championships at Norwich

Cancelled

Edited by John Taylor

Mike,

I think the only event I could do is the RA Championship at Manor Park on the 3/4 October. This would involve more funding to complete my boat.  My wish list of races includes the West Kirby Worlds, Vane A-Class Week and an ambition to race in the US in 2020,  I dunno if I can financially stretch any further?

JT

• 6 months later...

Wow, I have just reviewed my Sailing Calendar wish list. I've only 6 potential regattas left. I was going to hit the circuit hard this year and clock up the miles. Ended up saving money :classic_sad:

JT

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

At the beginning of 2020, I was excited with the amount of sailing I was going to do this year. However, today my sailing wish list is in tatters. Only the Joint Services (IOM) race is left, I wonder what the decision on that race will be? The only plus side is that Ive not burnt all my money to the fuel companies such as Shell and Esso. 

JT

Edited by John Taylor

Hi John,

We (Maureen & I) also planned attending many events, but have also saved lots not paying it to oil companies and hotel chains!!

However, I fear that our sport will be the loser for it as I worry that some of our regular competitors will have found something else to do with their weekends?

We must hope for the best when & if we return to normal, whatever that is.

Hi John/Derek,

I know that the council are very keen to ensure that we can get back to competitive racing as soon as possible and are working on guidance documents. Like Derek I am concerned that some of our members may find other activities but I also see that we have a fantastic opportunity to place club sailing back at the front of everyones mind, and if we all support our local clubs we can individually do something to encourage our friends and mates to come out to play.

I see that clubs are starting to organise regular sailing and if we all join in (socially distanced of course) we can help everyone feel confident to return.

2020 has been a year of home projects for me but looking forward to getting the transmitter in my hand again soon.

Darin

Darin & all,

I've never stopped supporting my local club,  yesterday I was racing R/C Lasers.  Sat I was fixing a new members IOM.   Thurs night I was racing df65's  tues I was racing df95's and last Sun I was racing IOM's until my boat broke!   I'll be trying it again this comming sat.

Posted (edited)

Gents and Others,

I am turning my attentions now to the Trade Show and the (MYA) AGM. Surely we can achieve those at the very least?

I kinda think this years AGM would become very important, in terms of initially publishing to its members, the Council's future ideas for how events in 2021 can be run? I am sure if advertised carefully and following future distancing guidance, we could achieve an enjoyable Trade Show and fast becoming, in my opinion, a very important future AGM. 

A discussion for a future thread away from this post perhaps?

Regards,

JT

MYA Trade Show 2019.jpg

Edited by John Taylor

Individually we have zero chance of "beating this thing down".  Its transmissibility is phenomenal, as can be seen from the upticks in cases in numerous places around the UK and the rest of the world.  The only real hope is that one of the vaccines works...  

Larry

New IOM sailor

North Essex

6 hours ago, Guzzilazz said:

Individually we have zero chance of "beating this thing down". 

I disagree, it is only by individuals taking responsibility for their actions and maintaining social distancing/hand washing/small groups only/face masks, etc that we will keep the infection rate low. It is the irresponsibility of individuals who feel they are immune from this or who simply ignore the safety and welfare of others around them that causes the spikes in infection that we are seeing now.  Be responsible now and we just may get to have serious competition again in 2021. Be irresponsible and we will be having this same conversation in twelve months time.

The choice is yours......

Morning everyone,

Life is going on!!  And our sport must be one of the most healthy of all.  Outdoors, fresh air, exercise, must be better for the health of our members than sat in front of the box!!?

Lets get out there & get some responsible, social distanced,  racing done!!

13 hours ago, philholliday said:

I disagree, it is only by individuals taking responsibility for their actions and maintaining social distancing/hand washing/small groups only/face masks, etc that we will keep the infection rate low. It is the irresponsibility of individuals who feel they are immune from this or who simply ignore the safety and welfare of others around them that causes the spikes in infection that we are seeing now.  Be responsible now and we just may get to have serious competition again in 2021. Be irresponsible and we will be having this same conversation in twelve months time.

The choice is yours......

Without trying to be pedantic, that is what I said... There are too many people who believe they won't be affected by the disease, as they are young.  Someone in my village was infected and hospitalised for 6 weeks.  He had sepsis and two strokes, before being released from hospital.  He was 31 and fit before the virus.  There is much rumour that pubs and restaurants aren't taking names and contact details, and not providing "Covid Safe" environments.  Combining the "it won't affect me" with the previous sentence, there is little chance in my opinion that we will be doing much differently until a vaccination programme is well under way, and that will reduce the incidence of the virus in society. 

Larry

New IOM sailor

North Essex

I am wondering if we could have a Virtual Trade Show and AGM via Zoom?

Trying to think how this can work, suppliers sign up for a timed slot using Zoom. It is the suppliers choice to have a number of their products on display and be available for questions from the public. I'm not overly sure how Zoom works but all suppliers may receive a Zoom Calling code once they have signed up, which is published to all the MYA Members wishing to be involved.

As for the AGM, this could be achieved on one contact number for all the interested members to enter.

Any thoughts or has someone thought about this already?

JT

• Administrator
6 hours ago, John Taylor said:

I am wondering if we could have a Virtual Trade Show and AGM via Zoom?

Trying to think how this can work, suppliers sign up for a timed slot using Zoom. It is the suppliers choice to have a number of their products on display and be available for questions from the public. I'm not overly sure how Zoom works but all suppliers may receive a Zoom Calling code once they have signed up, which is published to all the MYA Members wishing to be involved.

As for the AGM, this could be achieved on one contact number for all the interested members to enter.

Any thoughts or has someone thought about this already?

JT

Zoom is not the solution for a virtual trade show I am afraid. It's just not practical to potentially have 1750 people attend a Zoom meeting and it not be chaos.

We are prepared for a virtual AGM but won't be using Zoom for that either for the reasons above.

Hi John,

A  Facebook Watch Party might be just the thing on the MYA downwind group. Supplier records a video and invites us all, we watch with you and post comments or ask questions. A host can queue videos so a few suppliers could get together to form a virtual trade show. Post to MYA forum after that for anyone not on Facebook  Just a thought.

See you at a race soon

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Recently, I entered the Dutch (IOM) Open - 24 / 25th October. However, last Friday saw the government  putting quarantine restrictions in place, which includes returning from the Netherlands. Therefore,  it seems I cannot sail in this event anymore.   Link: https://www.iomzeilen.nl/

What is left for me....

Not the (IOM) Championship, Fleetwood - 29 August.

then.... Not the DF95 Championship, Fleetwood - 26 & 27th September.

Both Cancelled

Edited by John Taylor
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Site Admin
On 17/08/2020 at 09:37, Derek Priestley said:

Notice of Race – Not the IOM Nationals 29th & 30th August 2020 

2 SEPARATE RACES

All are welcome up to 28 boats!

Did this take place ?.

How did it go ?

Any Lessons learned ?

Hi Garry,

Yes it took place    but with only 13 boats entered on sat & 15 on Sunday it was an easy event to manage.

On Sunday with 15 boats we assessed the risk of running 1 fleet with 2 more boats in it than the MYA's  GUIDANCE   and we decided that there was no problem with the wide open space around Fleetwood lake,  and all competitors agreed so we did 16 races in one fleet in very challenging shifting winds.

Lessons learned,   The MYA GUIDANCE  is just that   GUIDANCE  and we had all the precautions in place and had, I hope, a successful safe day.

I'll eco Derek's words, it was a very good weekend with plenty of space with skippers up on the grass bank and the crabbers on the concrete.

Challenging shifty conditions was an understatement, Derek did a sterling job in setting us the best course he could in the conditions.

You forget how tiring two days of sailing can be - but highly enjoyable.😀

• Site Admin
On 04/09/2020 at 16:59, Damian101 said:

I'll eco Derek's words, it was a very good weekend with plenty of space with skippers up on the grass bank and the crabbers on the concrete.

Challenging shifty conditions was an understatement, Derek did a sterling job in setting us the best course he could in the conditions.

You forget how tiring two days of sailing can be - but highly enjoyable.😀

Sounds good. Unfortunately the new restrictions just announced make it look like the NTDF95 Nationals may not be so fortunate. Not given up hope yet :)

• 2 weeks later...

New events now on my radar.

Fleetwood (Vane 36R) - Lever Cup: 19th September

Travelled 568 miles, Travel Budget £85

Fleetwood (Not the DF95 Championships) - 27 / 28 September

Cancelled

Forfar (IOM) Scottish District Wooden Championship - 3rd October

Travelled to Greenock as a round trip 934miles, the regatta was postponed to a mid week event. Therefore, unable to sail! 😠

JT

Edited by John Taylor
  • 1 month later...

At the beginning of 2020, I advertised my own race calendar wish list. I wanted to record the distances I would travel and the amount of expenditure used during this year when attending regattas.  Like all of us, the pandemic has severely restricted my race calendar, but I have managed to achieve something in 2020. Yet looking at my previous wish list above, the amount of money and mileage I potentially could have covered makes me quiver.  Even though the year isn't finished, the remainder of the time will be spent developing projects rather than racing.

Total mileage covered - 2980 miles

Total Budget used on fuel - £420 + A flight ticket to the US.

Pictures of the yachts used competitively in 2020 

What will 2021 bring?

JT

Rubix.jpg

Drisky - 6m.JPG

Sonix (10R).jpg

Remix 36r -  (43).JPG

Edited by John Taylor