A delve in the garage

tiggy_cat

Interesting to note that the A class now has 2  Class Captains , championing the class. Quite appropriate really , as given the weight of some of the older designs that they want to get back on the water, you need 2 people to lift them!   Well that's the impression I get when moving around my Dambuster A Class that I acquired back in the early 1970's and used to sail at Emberton Park when it was barely a reclaimed gravel pit.  If I remember correctly, the bulb on the end of the keel is somewhere close to 60lbs.

I spent some time this Summer,  tidying up the A which hasn't sailed for a good few years and it is nearly ready for a rebirth , along with my 6 metre "Tern".    The A class was one of 3 identical boats built by a sailor local to Emberton  ( David Houssen)  for himself and two friends and only "fun sailed"  i.e. they were never officially measured . Given all the fuss when Mr Stollery introduced his ovoid designs such as Dambuster and Clockwork Orange that  didn't really have a deck edge to measure to etc, this might provide Bill Green with some interest if dropped into his measuring tank!!.    I bought mine off of the Senior Engineer of Brittania Airways,  who was based at Luton. For medical reasons he had to downsize to a Marblehead and  I was sailing my little Starlet  on the periphery of the group and he gave me first refusal on the boat at the grand price of £40 if I recall correctly. That price included the boat, 3 sets of Nylet sails and a 4'x3' road trailer used to bring it to the lake!  As I had a Mini Clubman at the time, the trailer was sort of vital. The trailer had been built by "the lads in the workshop" from a welded angle iron frame, Indespension units and tongue and grooved  wood painted externally and varnished internally.  It was probably better built than the A class actually!  Unfortunately, the trailer is long gone !!

I do intend to get her sailing again, as IMHO , no class of model yacht looks so majestic when set up and sailing properly, although I may have to join a gym and get into training so that I can lift her into the water

Edited by tiggy_cat
extra detail

Do get her out on the water, we are looking at someway to encourage the older designs back onto the water, I am sorting out my Sonamara, she is only competitive in a blow as are a lot of the older designs.

please contact me directly reference the six metre as we are compiling a n owners listing for the COG. All six metre skippers will need to contact me to get on the list and give permission to be included on the listing

Mike Ewart

Just as an aside to this,  while I updated most of the electronics on the A during the Autumn (removing the Flight Link Duette 27mhz set up which still worked!)  I left the original winch in place. This consisted of a large Monoperm motor driving  a brass gear train with limit switches on a traveller arrangement. Something else probably knocked up in Brittania's Luton work shops. While a bit "old school" it is virtually impossible to move the winch drum by force except by energising the motor. This was originally via a pair of micro switches mounted on a servo but has been replaced with a solid state switch from a chap in the Channel Islands.  The set up isn't lightning fast nor is it proportional, but it is basically simple and virtually foolproof.

For the sort of sailing I am likely to do, the winch will probably be fine ( it was back in the 70's so should work just as well now). I did have a look around for something newer to replace it but with the seeming lack of RMG 300 series winches around , I was hard put to find anything that would reliably cope with the  not inconsiderable forces involved in shifting the sails as there is a fair old area involved.  Just wondering what others use in A's, given that the current breed are probably carrying less sail area.  Any suggestions/observations welcomed.

Hi

I am using a 380 rm g on my Sword  and 2 whirlwind on Sonamara, but I was using a 290 rm g on my Gothica  just get the small drum on the winch and use a decent amount of travel you should be Ok, PJ Sails also do a winch to suit an A class

• Like 1

Mike Ewart

• 2 months later...