John Ball

How to award Redress in an HMS Seeding Race?

I received a panic message from a Regatta Director some time back - His Protest Committee wanted to award Redress to a boat in an HMS Seeding Race.  There is no guidance in the HMS procedures for awarding redress in a seeding race, so what should they do? I don't remember how they decided to resolve the problem, but I gave it some thought after the fact and came up with a possible solution that may help Race and Protest Committees in the future.

For normal multi-heat races, we accept a mathematical model for redress - eg AVG points for some number of races – if the incident is later in the regatta, then AVG of races already sailed - but early in the regatta, redress may be based on an average of some selected range of future races. But how to assign redress for that seeding race, where the fleet make up and size of heat are quite different from the heats of Race 2 and beyond?

Here attached is a description of the problem, the logic, and my suggested solution.

It has no official standing, and may generate some useful discussion on this (hopefully) rare situation.

John

Redress in Race 1.pdf

John Ball

IOM CAN 307 (V8)

In my private capacity

At the end of the event would average of all races excluding the seeding race divided by the number of heats not give reasonable redress ?  This seems quite easy to calculate.

I have been in similar spot during seeding races for a 'major' event when, as PRO, I had two such requests in separate seeding heats.  Both were similar in that they affected a Starboard tack yacht approaching the finish which became hooked on a following, give-way, boat still 'running' to the leeward mark(s).  My protest committee (seasoned sages with years of experience) advised that in such cases, because the protesting yacht was on the last leg of the course, the only fair redress was to award its finishing position as where it was in the 'running order' at the time of the incident.  So, if the yacht was the third in the line of yachts approaching the finish at the time it was 'taken out' and had to be rescued (technically disabled as the result of the actions of a 'give way' yacht) it should be awarded third place in that heat.

This seems the fairest approach for this particular situation and is not too difficult to write into any management procedure: however it does require race officials to be on their toes and observing the yachts - exactly what properly trained observers should be doing - so the yacht's position can be confirmed.

Redress for activities on other legs of the course are more appropriately addressed by some average scoring system which, as you suggest, should be related to the seeding heat size and the yacht's performance during part of the rest of a regatta.  In multi-day events, perhaps the average should only be based on other races on the same day as the seeding race(s) took place; assuming that Race 2 and beyond are sailed on the same day as seeding.  Skippers often have completely different performances on other days of the longer events.  The other factor is that redress should really only be considered for a protesting yacht which has been disabled by the actions of a yacht which loses the protest!

This is something that definitely needs addressing.

Mike Kemp