A class average sail area

Richard98

I know the A class is a formula rating for sail area, but could I ask if anyone has sail areas for a typical modern A.

Just an idea of area, luff and foot measurements. I know the rule states that luff must be greater than 1390. I know this is a bit vague, but trying to get a picture of max rig plan to aim for.

Richard

Richard. That’s a very difficult question to answer there are many variables   For instance one design maybe 15kg of displacement with 1500sq ins of sail area. And another may be 12 Kg with 1300. Both would be equally competitive. The rule is very good providing an equal competitive basis for  all backed up with measurement. If you want to see what the full rig is like I suggest that you down load the class rule from the MYA website and take a look at the drawings. That should give you a clue and if you need an explanation you can always give me a ring. My contact details are on the SmartWinch supplier banner

Cheers

Bill Green

From what I have seen of them and perusing the rules, the A class is a great class. I like the huge difference possible in hull, ballast weights and rig area. Biggest problem is that I have never seen one in the flesh; apart from those in the Poole clubhouse. Also a bit large.

My boat of choice for most of my sailing time has been the Merlin Rocket. So much to play about with and experiment. Unfortunately due to crew considerations I realise that I have owned more Lasers than Merlins. I have one now sitting on the front garden, with sailing/swimming on hold. Hence the timely appearance of a boat to play with.

I must try to read John Lewis's book

Johns book does have some interesting designs with brief notes on why he went the way he did but, seriously the A is to me one of our most underrated classses, it does not need to be modern it can vary in weight from less than 10 kilos up to 19 or 20 kilos, and they certainly are so graceful on the water, there are some very pretty designs out there and when you consider the cost of a top one metre the A is a cheap boat, I am an ex International Canoe sailor and the A and the 6 ( my other love)  are very similar. 

Mike Ewart

I remember sailing an International Canoe, Mike, the sliding seat was fun. 

May need to start a new thread:   Servo control for trim tab. We used an analogue system on Transpac's but I assume radio sailing will be a digital switch Left/off/right. What sort of servo is necessary ?  My Futaba TX only has two position switches so how is trim controlled ?

Richard

Thanks Bill, I know Peter quite well and, as you say, Always helpful.  Poole is a bit far away now though.

Thanks Mike, looks like I may need to buy a new TX then, one with a 3 position switch. Info on tab settings very useful indeed.

Richard

Perhaps a cheapish one that has a couple of channels that can be controlled proportionally by knobs would be more useful. Would suggest something like the Turnigy TGY-i6.  Actually on this, you can assign two of the channels to either a switch or a knob .  It also has a channel operated by a 3 position switch as well.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-tgy-i6-mode-2-afhds-transmitter-and-6ch-receiver.html?queryID=16badbcee626b55a7971fb683dc5435c&objectID=45922&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

Edited by tiggy_cat

Hi Richard,

Contact Damian Ackroyd for the lowdown on keel trim tabs. They are on Driskys and most of the A class/6m Hollom designs. Derek Priestley is another possibility - he has a Hollom A class 'Hard Tack which has a trim tab. I think you will need a channel with a three position switch on your TX though.

Cheers, Shaun.

4 hours ago, Richard98 said:

Thanks Tiggy Cat, that TX/RX looks just the job. Off to buy one now (metaphorically in current circumstances of course)

Richard

I have been using two of them for a couple of years and they are super little bits of kit.

• 1 month later...

Just waiting for my Flysky FS i6, which is the same as the Turnigy (thanks Tiggy Cat) just a different label. I assume the 3 position switch is easily assigned. The only reason I ask is that the manual does not specifically mention that switch (c) on the assignment instructions. 

I had one of these when I bought a DF95 last year:  really impressed by the boat and the Flysky and only sold on because our club showed no interest in adopting the class. Interestingly, the rig is quite useful and I may put one together for the trimaran.

Boat progressing well and looking forward to floating for final trim. The fin and trim tab turned out ok, I did find that the trim tab internals got in the way of any sheet post ideas and have reverted to a bridle.

Richard