Sign in to follow this  
Vinnie Zammit

IOM Veteran Championships

There seems to be quite a strong roumour, that there are 3 clubs on the south coast that wish to put in a motion at the next AGM, that the minimum age for the IOM Veteran Championships be raised from the current 60 to 70.

I would be very interested in the view of our current elder sailors. Would you agree with the motion, or keep the current minimum age as it is?

I make no secret of the fact that i would be against the motion. As someone who has attended 7 of the last championships, 6 as a competitor and 1 as a PRO, i find it hard to believe that our over 70 years of age sailors would be willing to travel a long distance to the event.

I am not sure what has spurred the clubs to think about the motion, could it be the large entry at Eastbourne this year or the fact that most of the front sailors there were under 70 years of age.

The Vets Championship next year is at one of our Northern District clubs. Would those 70+ year old sailors who attended Eastbourne this year, travel North next year, if the motion were carried. Personally i do not think so and the entry would be down.

Currently, the attendance at the Veteran Championships is good, which helps make it one of the best events of the year.

If entries diminish, i can see the event ending up as part of the National Championships, with the trophy going to the first Veteran.

65,maybe. 70, no!

Your opinnions please.

To some degree I do understand the motivation for this. Not that I agree either and the concept is rather silly you must agree.

But we always seem to skirt around an issue rather than confront it full in the face as it were.

So let us bring a difference perspective to this –

• Is it truly appropriate for a reigning National Champion or a recent past national / World Champion to enter such an event?

• Is it appropriate for those who qualify to enter the World Championships representing GB or even The Race of Champions to enter such an event?

Or are these people simply Pot Hunting

THIS IS A QUESTION NOTHING MORE

Perhaps we should only allow boats made of wood or older than 10 years to enter with homemade sails.

Or better still -

Schedule the Race of Champions or a Ranking Event to the same weekend as the IOM Veteran Championship.

Or perhaps limit the number of times you can win it to 1 ( one)

Are we perhaps forgetting the spirit of the event – that I entered for the first time £$”£ years ago.

I have not... and I enjoyed every minute of the last event, not the event before it, and I hope everybody else did to.- including that pestley boat that kept banging into me

Let’s be honest for once

Dave

Thanks Dave. Must admit i have enjoyed every one of the events i have entered, even if i did end up being "Permanent Observer", which i really enjoyed.

You bring up some very good points, unfortunately people cannot help being as good as they are and should not be penalised for it.

What a strange turn of affairs, that in a sport that is mainly for those of mature years, most of us spend our leisure radio sailing because Rugby/Squash or Serious dinghy sailing is just a memory, there is a worry that the guys that are good at it might win!!. Keep the Vets at 60, at 70 one has to apply for a new driving licence- motor not boat.

Alf - good one - I missed you at the event.

Vinnie, Vinnie, Vinnie - you are totally misinterpreting what I wrote ... and there was no collision with No 37 - or No 1 and if there was I was on Starboard or was not sailing

I was simply exploring the possible motivation for proposing to increase the qualifying age. Far be it for me to accusing any one of anything.

Excluding those who are clearly superior sailors is no more silly than excluding those who are younger than 70 or have hair.

Perhaps the motivation for increasing the qualifying age is to constrain the number of entries.

Exploring this rather than deterring top skippers from entering the event.

Consider restricting entries to skippers who have at least participated in an MYA Ranking Event or an MYA Regional Event that year or the previous year.

Glancing down this year’s result sheet indicates that possibly 12 – 16 skippers would not have qualified to enter the event so reducing the entry from 47 to 35 - Three fleets

Another possibility is restricting the event to skippers that have been sailing for at least 10 years and boats older than 10 years. That will eradicate most of the fleet leaving Me and 6 others – I now have a chance of 5 place.

But are we trying to fix a problem that may not exist. Many of the entrants would not have coped with any more than seven heats a day, 10 would have been nice.

Is it really necessary to stop at `16:00 on Saturday when the visibility is good and there is nothing on television?

Let us sail to 19:00 and stop trying to get me out of bed at 6:00 for a 9:00 start that will inevitably be delayed until 11:00

I still enjoyed every minute and I will go again – I am sure the good people of the MYA will reject this foolishness.

Dave

I certainly hope that the people who attend the AGM will reject the motion. Bit suprised that we have not had more responce on the subject, especialy from the clubs involved.

I will certainly be there again next year.

Firstly I am a believer in the "If it is not broken dont mend it" principle,

I can not see any logical reason to alter a format of radio sailing that attracts 40+ skippers for a weekend of racing once a year, whatever the class or entry requirements.

I go to the event for a weekend of full-on big fleet (17= boats on the line) and with 3 fleets it means plenty of sailing against skippers of similar standards.

As the event attracts only 40+ skippers plenty of clubs would feel confident in holding the event.

If the event attracted more then I would welcome some sort of upper limit to ensure plenty of racing in a big fleet, but we are not there yet.

Perhaps the clubs mentioned by Vinnie have members,who would like to compete, but do not like to be considered Vets, if that is the reason then a name change to the "Masters Championship" may be a way round their sensitivities.

In 2011 when the Vets were held in Eastbourne a senior MYA officier addressed the competitors about the Vets being incorporated into the Nationals , for several reasons including regatta congestion, with a show of hands the idea was unanimously rejected and skippers voted with their time and money to attend the event.

It is a great weekend of sailing, well supported, there must be other more important issues for the AGM to fix!

Peter

Thanks Peter, the same issue of incorporation into the Nationals was raised at Birkenhead when the Vets were held there. Same responce!