Sign in to follow this  
Richard98

Not really a 6M; but !!!

My lockdown project boat is progressing well, thanks to a fair amount of input from members. 

Bought as a planked, scaled down, Moby Dick design and being hacked about by me to make a sort of "what if" 6Metre yacht.  What could a 6M be if not quite so constrained by sail area, keel depth and hull contorting measurement rules. NOT intended as any criticism of the 6M, which is a lovely class to look at, just an exercise in what could be done.

I have removed 0.5Kg of internal structures /deck. The original fin, rudder & skeg and 7Kg internal ballast also lopped off.  A new c/f keel and rim tab plus an old One Metre rudder are the new external appendages. The new deck has ended up looking like a Swiss cheese as I thought of additional areas that may require access as things progress. A pattern has been made for a 7Kg ballast, which is intended to interact with the trim tab and, hopefully, the hull to increase effectiveness. For this reason the main fin section is just a simple aerofoil .

Thinking of sail plan now and aiming for 0.8-0.9 sq M. Maintaining the same ratios as typical 6M, also One Metre; which is interesting. Really want to go high aspect, but aware of keeping a sensible mast height. Substantial roach in order here, like the Merlin Rocket main. 

Here is the main point of this missive.    Does any one have any ideas on the project that they would like to see ?  Any comments on rig that could give me a steer on configuration.

Thinking carbon mast, maybe in two parts. No spreaders. Fractional rig with aforementioned main.  I like sleeved, fully battened mains though.

All comments / suggestions welcome and thanks to all who have already guided me.

Richard

IMG-7475.JPG

IMG-7480.JPG

IMG-7481.JPG