A Class Racing in 2020

A Class Racing in 2020

Fellow sailors, it has indeed been a very strange year so far and it is only very slowly getting better.  We now need to look at the way forward, which of necessity will be slow, first we need the A’s out on the water at your clubs, if you do not already do it organise regular A Class sailing and racing days, I don’t actually think we can run much in the way of large events for some time and to this end the intention is to cancel the A Class National Championships for 2020, these will now move to 2021 at Manor Park at a similar time of year, we also are intending to run all the events we had planned for 2020 in 2021 just adjusting the dates by the requisite day to cope with the calendar. I understand that the event planned for Rotherham can’t be held next year and I’ll be talking to Askern to see if they can help out. In addition, the remaining two PRACC events at Gosport and Poole are also cancelled. It is possible that dates held in calendar can be used for A class racing can be held. Should this be the case I will let you all know.

I feel that an explanation of this is required and as you probably suspect it is due mostly to the ongoing pandemic. The demographic of the model yachting fraternity puts the majority of us in the vulnerable zone, thus congregation in large groups, overnight stays in hotels, etc are not the ideal situation. In addition, the MYA has a requirement that National level events should be available to all skippers who wish to attend, the possibility of local lockdowns in the case of surges in infections could happen at any time with very little notice, thus necessitating cancellations, we cannot ask a club to go to the expense and hard work of organising an event at this level, only to have to cancel at short notice.

The events, ie:- open meetings, we have in the calendar for the rest of the year are totally depending upon the regulations in force at the time of the meeting. I, for one, am sure I will go to meetings if I’m able and allowed to go but I will not be staying overnight and until things change and will not be walking up and down lakesides in a group of skippers. We at Bournville, like many other clubs, have developed the art of social sailing from a chair and it looks like that this is the way it will be for some time.

As you will appreciate this decision has not been taken lightly and I do realise this news is probably not that welcome in some quarters but I’m sure with some thought on the matter you will agree with our feelings and agree that this is the only safe way forward. Hopefully 2021 will be back to some form of normality and we can get back to sailing these superb yachts. If you look at this positively it gives those of you planning to join us in the Classic A Class fleet longer time to get them fettled up in the racing shape. Please take look at the International A Class and the MYA Downwind Facebook pages and you will find some interesting A Class things going on across the world.

Keep Safe

Bill Green  Class Captain