Sign in to follow this  
Graham Elliott

IOMICA AGM

It appears that the MYA or in this particular case our Class Captain wants all registered IOM owners to email him with our individual votes. That's not a problem. I have 4 registered IOM's, I'll send 4 individual emails! I doubt it will occur but Vinnie you could be receiving 1082 emails prior to 13th Nov. Joio!

Mark, you are joking! Right? One vote per owner (not per boat)

John

I didn't think it was a joke! The weighting per NA is based on the number of registered owners. I have four registered, measured IOM's to my name. Surely I get a vote per boat? So being lazy where should we look to find some closure in this matter.

Hi Mark,

I has to dig to find the references. They are in the IOMICA Regulations. Basically, an owner has one or more registered boats. A registered owner has to be 'in good standing'

with your national authority.

The weighted voting by National Authorities is based on the number of Registered owners (not sum of registered boats) and on the number of Certificated Owners (not the sum of certificated boats)

I underlined where it specifies 'owners' not sum of boats.

John

IOMICA Constitution and Regulations may be downloaded from

http://www.iomclass.org/about/

IOMICA Regulations

Definitions

Owner A person who owns at least one Registered Boat.

Registered Owner An Owner who is listed as being current and in good standing with an IOM NCA or IOM NCS.

Certificated Owner A Registered Owner who owns at least one Certificated Boat.

Section 4 World Council

4.12. An ordinary resolution to the World Council shall be voted on by Member NCAs or NCSs

representing Registered Owners. A Special resolution shall be voted on by Member NCAs

or NCSs representing Certificated Owners.

4.13. Only members of the World Council shall be entitled to vote at any meeting of the World

Council. The number of votes to be cast by a Member NCA or NCS representative in any

vote in meetings of the World Council shall be in accordance with the number of

Registered Owners (for voting on ordinary resolutions) or Certificated Owners (for voting

on Special resolutions) in the Member’s country as follows:

John Ball

IOM CAN 307 (V8)

In my private capacity

All

Same position as Stephen H, I sent my vote by email to Vinnie asking for a read receipt so I knew it had been registered and not heard anything as yet.

Surely for something as important as this there should be a better way of informing Skipper's about the requirement to vote with perhaps guidance from the officials/MYA about which way they would prefer us to vote. We discussed these issues at a club meeting and I doubt if anyone knew in detail how the proposed scoring system worked and also how it may eventually filter down to national and regional events if accepted. If I had not looked at the web site I would not have known about this and as I know a large number of IOM sailors don't browse I'm guessing the majority of registered owners will not vote.

Perhaps someone representing us UK skippers might want to comment!

Eric

Hi Eric,

Some discussion with regards to the CRO proposed scoring system adoption can be found on the

IOMICA website forum here http://www.iomclass.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1855

USA IOM forum herehttp://www.iomusa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=378

and also on our own forum you may be able to gauge the feelings of some of our own skippers from a past thread herehttp://www.mya-uk-forum.org.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=295&hilit=hms

Cheers

Brad

Hi Brad

Thanks for the reply, I have already seen a couple of the web discussions and as I stated already sent my vote to Vinnie though still not had any confirmation of receipt.

My main issue is that there is no system for informing skippers that they need to vote and the way the vote is completed. It seems that the procedure requires the individual to spot on the web the requirement to vote then research what they are voting on. Therefore as they say in electoral events I would expect a low turn out. I would be interested in the number of votes cast in relation to those eligible to vote.

Could a system be added to either this or the IOMICA site to enable online voting which would acknowledge your vote, with a synopsis of the subject matter.

Eric

I agree with you Eric. Perhaps a poll on the MYA website with relative links might reach a bigger audience and made the voting a little easier. The RCM&E Forum always have a poll running which helps identify good and bad practices, general trends etc. It's quite interesting and the members often pick the subjects to be voted on. You also get to see the results. Here are the current results for this months poll.

vote.thumb.png.9bd83a79532cac98c46516b0c1fea2d1.png

Hi Eric,

just a note to assure you that all votes that were submitted to me in time were counted and cast. Eric i must apologise but i did receive your vote and it was counted and have it in my record as such, unfortunately i did not press the read receipt button.

As it is my intention to shortly to resign both my positions with the MYA, a man of "passion" will be required to take over. Could you be that man?