Sign in to follow this  
Vinnie Zammit

IOMICA AGM Voting Results

The following are the results of the poll sent out to 1082 IOM owners to establish how the MYA should vote with regards to the motions set out at the forthcoming IOMICA AGM

Motion 6.1: Ratify Emergency rule change regarding Gooseneck and Fittings. For: 31 Votes, Against: 5 Votes.

Motion 7.1: Change event scoring system from HMS to Simple Heat Racing System. For: 6 Votes, Against: 30 Votes.

Motion 7.2: Change CCR 6.4 to ensure Main Jury Members have sufficient experience to manage Continental or World Championships. For: 30 Votes, Against: 6 Votes.

The MYA will vote according to the above results

Thanks for the results Vinnie.

As you say Graham results much as expected.

Now perhaps something more important than the results is how should we proceed in future votes, as a 3.3% return is worryingly low. (I suspect a number of skippers did not vote as they never expect to sail in world or continent events. But there has got to be a large number of boats equipped with plate type goose neck fittings who's skippers had a vested interest in the result who have not voted which is a bit of a surprise.) The bigger concern is that if an issue arises which adversely effects IOM sailing within the UK how do we ensure the UK skippers do vote?

I think there needs to be a better way of communicating the issues to the UK owners and the importance of them having their say by voting. I do think this is something that needs greater publicity than the forum provides as you only have to look at the number of registered users to realise the limited number of skippers this reaches. (I expect the majority of those skippers who did vote read the forum)

So ideas as to how to reach the larger community now required. Does anyone have a data base of contact details(email addresses) of the IOM registered owners in the UK? (there may be data protection issues?)

Any comments?

Eric

Hi Eric,

cannot see how people cannot be better informed. Every person that has a boat registered with the MYA was sent an E mail informing them of the Vote.

Hi Eric,

cannot see how people cannot be better informed. Every person that has a boat registered with the MYA was sent an E mail informing them of the Vote.

The I suggest that list is checked as I most certainly did not receive such a email

I'd agree with Garry as I only saw that the vote was taking place via the message on the front of the MYA website.

Could we not in future utilise the website forms in much the same way as the "MYA Questionnaire" and "Vane Sailing Questionnaire" both did.

I've just checked the RCM&E monthly poll on their forum page. During the last 6 days 40 votes have been registered = 187 total this month on a topic of no consequence. We are doing something wrong as the people who fly are generally no different in age, IT, gender etc than us who sail.

Regarding the Gooseneck issue I believe if your boat was measured pre March 2015 and the plate exceeds 20mm then it is legally OK. Any boat measured post March then a plate in excess of 20mm wouldn't be Class legal. That is what I have been advised by our Technical Team.

With regards Notification of the IOMICA AGM Voting, Vinnie Zammit requested a note be sent out via iContact.

The following was sent out on 4th November 2015 to all MYA members who have an email address recorded on the MYA database.

Dear Member,

IOMICA are due to hold their 2015 AGM on 22nd November 2015.

There are 3 items that require voting on.

Item 6.1 – Ratify emergency rule change regarding Gooseneck and fittings.

Item 7.1 – Change to event scoring system.

Item 7.2 – Change CCR 6.4

To gain detailed explanation of the motions, please go to the IOMICA website (http://www.iomclass.org) and visit

the title AGM 2015.

If you wish to vote on the items, please return your votes to me (either for or against) at

vinnie.zammit@gmail.com

By Friday 13th November 2015.

Please remember your vote counts!!

Sent on behalf of

Vinnie Zammit

email: vinnie.zammit@gmail.com

IOMICA NCA

If skippers did not receive it, either they have not provided the MYA with an email address or if they have, it is incorrect on the database. That being the case, I would suggest those people should check their profile on the MYA web site by accessing the members area and correcting their data.

If skippers did not receive it, either they have not provided the MYA with an email address or if they have, it is incorrect on the database. That being the case, I would suggest those people should check their profile on the MYA web site by accessing the members area and correcting their data.

Well this is the first that I even new I had a profile to maintain in members area. Now corrected but maybe a good idea to let people know this is how they will be contacted ?.

Sorry if this sounds like I'm being critical its not meant to be. Im just trying to point out that it seems there is assumption all MYA members know all of this and maybe procedures and assumptions need looking at. I do appreciate all MYA officers are volunteers and I know from personal experience as officer in other organisations how those that don't volunteer feel they can vent off.

Sorry Vinny but though I am an MYA member, UK resident and my boat 1511is certified, no-one asked me to vote. Perhaps your list of owners is outof date. However I can tell you that postal, or nowadays, email votes never get much response as most sailors never venture out of their own club and as fun sailors , are really not interested. 5% would be a reasonable response rate so you are not far off the norm. Any class is driven by motivated owners and they are, generally, those who attend worlds and the class meeting there. Keep p the good work and BTW I havent changed my email address for 15+ years. provoostval@hotmail.com will find me.

Must admit i found the results of the voting very disappointing, i was expecting at least 150+ replies. However now that i read that people did not receive their i contact E mails and knowing that John Newton kindly sent them out to all, i feel that the system might not be working as it should. I will certainly take it up with the MYA Council and see what can be done to improve the matter.