Sign in to follow this  
Brad Gibson

Ranking Regulation changes

Skippers in both the IOM and Marblehead class may be interested to know of some changes that have been made or are in the pipeline for ranking events, seemingly with very little consultation or discussion with class owners and members.

http://www.mya-uk-members.org.uk/library-files/admin/Racing_Officer_Report,_Part_3_-_changes_to_HMS,_SSIs_and_Ranking_Regulations_AGM_2015.pdf

Some changes have already been approved for 2016 with regards to heat numbers and points weighting, but it is what is proposed for 2017 that may alarm some.

On the table is a proposal to reduce the number of 2 day ranking events for the IOM class and fill these with one day events spread through the districts.

In the case of the Marblehead we have clearly seen a class reinvigorated by 2 day ranking events with careful planning as opposed to poorly attended 1 day races in the past. The IOM class continually shows the popularity of 2 day events where skippers DO make the effort to travel far and wide across the country for a weekends racing, where they would not contemplate this for only one day.

Quite simply the current system works as seen by attendance, growth in new skipper numbers, new boat registrations and the long list of International performances that result from a Ranking series designed to select the best possible skippers to represent the country. I would question how such important decisions can be made without wider consultation of class owners and members? Did anyone say survey??????

Brad Gibson

Hi Jeff,

The current system is that a weekends racing is actually 2 separate events, Sat event and a Sunday event. With the popularity of the IOM ranking there was some discussion about making the whole weekend one event to increase the amount of sailing.

There was a proposal submitted that suggested that there may be an advantage to having single day events, rather than a whole weekend of sailing. This has not been accepted as a change so far and in my view is counteractive to the efforts and results we have seen by creating weekend's of sailing for all the reasons that we know. Cost, travel, organisation etc.

Hopefully any changes to the current system will not be implemented without a consultation with those skippers who are now encouraged to enter.

A whole weekends sailing has many advantages over a single day event. For me it means I can justify the cost of travel and accommodation.

As we have seen over the last 10 years, the social aspect of model yachting has increase, especially for families. Even better when most of the competitors are based within one central place. A healthy sport needs this.

3 weekends around the country for the IOM and now the M class has given us plenty of options, with other classes starting to look as similar options.

Over the years I have stated that I would like to see the District Championship of each class have Ranking Points allocated to the event. These events are an important stepping stone from club to national events and as such it would be good to see the district top skippers mixing it with the middle and lower district skippers at least once a year. But there has to be an incentive to come to these races for the top skipper, so I would like to see 50 ranking points allocated to the winner. This would be in keeping with the current regulations for points allocation in 2016.

No extra events would have to be created within the calendar, as these events already exist.

Damian