Who was Levison

Dear forum members,

An acquantance of mine is since very shortly the proud owner of a vane equipped A-class boat built presumably around 1973.Originally the boat belonged to Jan Hoogerwerff who I understood regularly participated in the regattas in Fleetwood and Gosport in the seventies with this boat.The class certificate mentions the name Levison as the designer.Unfortunetaly

I do not have a photo of the boat showing the profile.I have seen it and it is of a quite classical appearance with a long raking keel of 18 kgs of load.The displacement is abt 26.8 kg, the midship section moderate V below the waterline with a modest tumblehome above the wl.Does anyone have any comments, memories and was mr Levison a model yacht designer or builder.

Any reactions will be highly appreciated,

Aad Terlouw

Netherlands/Rotterdam

Arthur Levison sculptor for a living, was a well respected designer and builder of A class yachts in the 1950's 60's & early 70's.

Originally from Gloucester he lived in South London & carved, amongst other things, the figurehead for the Cutty Sark at Greenwich.

He built many successful championship winning A class including his own "Phillippa" with which he & Dave Parkinson, a member of my own club Fleetwood, won the Championship at Gosport in 1968. I had the pleasure of racing Phillipa in my first A class championship at Gosport in 1972 & finished 8th.

He stretched the design of Phillipa, to produce "Zerlina" & it was to this design that the Hoogerwerrfs built their 2 boats. Dad Jan's in red & sons Han's in Yellow.

I raced with Han's at Gosport in 1974 & I think that we finished about 6th from about 44 boats.

If you happen to see Hans please remember me to him.

Enjoy the boat

Derek Priestley

dear Derek,

Many thanks for your prompt reaction.

The boat I am referring to is yellow indeed and is carrying the name " Yellow Boomerang".

The guy who bought (or took over the boat from Hans, I do not know the details) is now building in RC-equipment.We have a lot of water over here but no proper lakes suitable for vane-sailing.

regards,

Aad Terlouw