Sign in to follow this  
Terry Connell

Cerificate overweight

Hi all, If a boat is 200 grams over the maximum permitted weight what effect does that have on legitimacy of the Certificate and boat? Example:-Minimum = 21.0,Maximum = 21.2,actual(roughly) 21.4

Thanks.

Hi Terry what yacht are you talking about, most of the yachts with a weight on the certificate have teir sail area determined by weight as this will increase their waterline length and thus will be out of class if overweight, there is tolerance in weight built into the boats and this will be pointed out on the class website or the class rules, so look this up

Mike Ewart

Thanks for your reply.

The boat is a Frigate No.1536 1st Measurement 17 June 2002,Builders name G Appleton,Designer G Bantock .The date of the last measurement was done by W.Green on 9th July 2015. As far as I am aware nothing has been done to the boat since that time.Because it leaked at Fleetwood,during the PRACC 2, may be it's moisture in the hull.It doesn't look to be deeper in the water so the waterline length looks correct.

So,to be sure,I'll see if there's any ballast that's easily removable and have the boat accurately weighed.

I see in the Class Rules,2.6.5, that there's a tolerance of 0.1 kg only.

Does the boat have to be weighed together with the mast and sails? The Rules say with appendages. I take them to be the keel,fin and rudder.I weighed it rigged with mast and sails.

Hi all,

I'm very pleased to be able to say that the Frigate is legal.I've had the weight accurately measured to 21.13. So all is well.

Thanks to all for your interest and help.

Terry

It is suprising how much scales vary, a good check weight is a valuable tool for all modellers

No-it is more surprising that any authority fronts up with uncalibrated balances. I've seen this many times at dinghy events. Are no measurers scientists? At the very least, a certificate of calibration to ISO17025 for the balance should be pinned up for all to see. Should cost no more than a couple of hundred pounds

It is a lot cheaper to buy a check weight most scale sales outlets will have details of where to buy check weights I have a certified 2 kg and 4 kg check weight and this allows me to set the weight on my scales accurate at the points we are measuring the yacht in question, costs a few years ago was less than £50. Also if you want to check the weights talk to your local weights and measures department for a couple of weights I am sure they would be very reasonable

Mike Ewart

I very much doubt the Finns etc in Rio are being weighed by the local authority, nor indeed any dinghies/RC/ yachts in this country. If you are serious about rule inforcement, then do it properly. Sounds like your weights are indeed reliable though!