Help-my One Metre is out of action due to inoperative radio control. I have a Spektrum DX6i and while sailing it, onboard electronics froze completely, after dozens of circles the boat came ashore. All batteries good, LEDs on receiver operate, and when connected, there's a motor hum from something aboard. Nothing physically jammed. I have no idea how to troubleshoot digital radio noranything to substitute to eliminate faults. All dry inside too

Any ideas?

Stewart

IOM 2871

No neither. Odd it should happen whist sailing, lucky the boat came ashore (eventually). If it had been dry stored for months I could understand it

Have you got a second boat, and is that still working with the same transmitter ?

Have you accidentally moved your transmitter on to a different "model" ?

Is the transmitter showing full voltage on the display ?

Why do you think your receiver battery is ok ?

The DX6i transmitter aerial can be broken quite easily, can you see anything wrong with it ?

Have you tried re "binding" the transmitter to the receiver ?

Where do you live ?

Thanks for taking an interest.

No only one boat/transmitter/receiver. I have checked the transmitter still says Model 1

Yes to voltage-6.2V

Receiver still shows LEDs when connected-that may not be good evidence though. I just don't know-only had the boat 8 months

Transmitter new 8 months ago and stored in box

Yes

Southmoor, near Abingdon, Oxfordshire

Have you got any way of testing the receiver battery voltage, or a second battery ?

Is the receiver battery going straight into the receiver or is it going to the winch and the power coming from the winch ?

Do you know the winch type ?

Try removing the winch servo lead from the receiver, what happens to receiver lights and rudder servo ?

Connect winch to receiver again, remove the rudder servo lead, what happens to receiver lights and winch ?

Otherwise you are getting to the stage where you need to try another receiver and/or another transmitter.

You are a bit far away for me to come and look, I am in Romsey Hants. Have you got other club mates who you could try another rx or tx out ?

Thanks. sensible advice. I'm a newbie at this, and not a RC club member. I sail dinghies most of the time, and bought this for a bit of fun looking to 20+years time when I'm too old for the Albacore and getting wet. I'll give it a go Thursday and let you know.

Stewart

Receiver battery is only 4V, It's 2 cell 7.4V so I guess a cell might have failed. Is that how LiPo batteries go? Still enough power to light the receiver LEDs though

Looking for replacement, what does "30C" discharge mean? Or indeed "2C" charge? Not SI units I recognise.

Looks like you have found your problem.

Re 30C discharge

Lets say your Lipo is 1000mAh.

1 C discharge would mean you could discharge it at 1000mA (which is 1amp)

Thus 30C means you can discharge it at 30 x 1000mA, which is 30,000mA, which is 30Amps.

You are unlikely to actually need more than 10 amps discharge, more likely less than 5 amps even.

Re 2C charge

Lets say again that your Lipo is 1000mAh.

1C means that you can charge it at 1 x 1000mA = 1000mA (1 amp) and it will take about 1 hour

2C means you can charge it at 2 x 1000mA = 2000mA (2amp) and it will take about half an hour

If you let an individual Lipo cell go below 3.3v then it may puff up, or set itself on fire, same if they go above 4.2v, or if you puncture them. Tread carefully.

OK so I've bought a new battery, soldered the connections and got a healthy 7.4V. Connect to boat, still dead, no LEDs on receiver either. New receiver needed? Expensive fault-finding.

Your original problem of 4v on the RX battery sounds like a failed cell. The voltage dropped too low and probably, the RX lost its signal.

Now you have a new battery reading correct voltage.

I suspect that the RX has dropped its 'bind' to the Tx. There should be a colour coded light on the Rx for bind/no bind.

Look for the bind instructions and follow them carefully. Then look for the bind light on the Rx.

John

John Ball

IOM CAN 307 (V8)

In my private capacity

Thanks chaps. Sorry-Windows 10 update and broadband nonsense kept me offline. I have tried the binding, but all LEDs on the receiver go out when the flashing (binding) stops, rather than showing steady. If a low battery stops the binding, what happens when you remove the battery to charge it?

I posted a message on Tuesday but it didn't appear. Receiver is a Spektrum AR6210 and connects to something buried within the hull, presumably the winch.