John Ball

Updates to my articles for the new RRS 2017-2020

HI all,

I have updated all my Racing Rules and Tactics articles to match the changes in the new 2017 -2020 Edition of the RRS.

They have a new home too, on google sites. Here is the link

https://sites.google.com/site/johnsrcsailingrulesandtactics/

If you have read them before, then I suggest that you revisit Chapter 3 R18 and the Weather Mark . It was the most affected by the new RRS and has the most changes.

I hope you find them useful. Please post any questions or comments on this forum so we can all participate in the discussions.

John

John Ball

IOM CAN 307 (V8)

In my private capacity

Thanks John for a great piece, the inclusion of the video makes a potentially very complicated subject both clearer and more interesting. Thanks!!!

After a lifetime racing, think I ( finally) understand why that with no obligation from mark room at the start, you are stlll protected from being forced into the starboard end of the line.

We rarely hear competitors or participants in other  sports or  compedative  activities,  Complain ;Debate or mis understand rules pertaining to their respective sports as you  may find  regarding  racing radio control model sailboats.

Many sailing magazine and  sailing organizations  spend a great deal of their time unraveling  violations; which occur on the race  course with disagreements between contestants ,the executive hold court  by apportioning blame ,with a view  to make the impossible viable.

Many experienced sailor feel obligated to provide lectures and graphic explanations  on rules, while others  write  books on the subject with a view to promoting clarity regarding rule amendments deemed to be progress.    

I ask this question ,can all this define the sport of sailing as that of gentlemen ?  or  are catch 22 complicated  rules a  way to manipulate the out come of an event . 

We need to bring dignity back to sailing .

Recently there have been many advances in model yacht design new classes  have joined in the fraternity, speed in the new game in town , we should not  take every thing for granted as one major sailing  organization complained about the lack of participation, my next questions are what is driving people away , and the other, not attracting  new blood to the sport.

These are serious questions. 

As you can see I have not painted  glossy a picture, now I am going to hang it on the wall.

Time has come !  

May I offer these solutions , the rules as we know it , ideally , relate to big boat sailing, section "E"  is a referral.

We need to create our own un complicated  racing  rules / guidelines with  specific intent, to reduce collisions, suitable for model R/C yacht racing, subject to points penally only, and not embarrassing 360 turns.

There has been sufficient advancements  in model yacht racing that we should  create with justifiable reason our own comprehensive set of rules  or guidelines specifically suitable to our type of radio racing in all  acceptable and realistic weather conditions. 

"A man who chases two  Rabbits catches neither ".

Edited by Donald Cave
Punctuation.

The difference in size between RC and other dinghies and yachts requires the few specific differences in the rules.

But largely it's the same game and the rules work well in most situations.

It's hard enough to persuade people to run racing now. Add in recording points per incident instead of a simple check if a turn has been completed properly and it gets a lot harder.

The current rules work well. And when they dont, thats poor following of those same rules not an issue with them.

Resistance to change  and the need to adapt is not new and often misunderstood .

I have done enough model and big boat racing too know the difference.

I agree  that many rules  work well for some people but not the majority,  there is a need to portray  unsuitable rules  in  a simple form .

There are model sailing organization  who have adopted  a reduced format and simple form of racing guidelines.

We should not loose sight of the objective, nobody is forcing clubs or skippers to change  their sailing practices, they are entitled to their own prescriptions, however there are simpler and more appropriate  solutions to the R/C rule problem .

A viable  solution could be to reduce or eliminate  apparent existing complexity  by removing such rules and  or simplifying others which are clearly  intended for big boat racing , also  to revising most if not all rules  in simple comprehensible form as presently  not  suitable for model r/c yacht racing in their present format.

2 hours ago, ianrmcdonald said:

The difference in size between RC and other dinghies and yachts requires the few specific differences in the rules.

But largely it's the same game and the rules work well in most situations.

It's hard enough to persuade people to run racing now. Add in recording points per incident instead of a simple check if a turn has been completed properly and it gets a lot harder.

The current rules work well. And when they dont, thats poor following of those same rules not an issue with them.

Hi !  Ian

Greetings.

We are well aware of the difficulty to get people to run races my wife has  played that game for some time, I might add there is a need for beginners /novices support in that department , How else will they learn, you could call it initiation if you want, the incentive one year free dues here,  also  where we involved the general public, its called  participation, you have only to see how the supporters act at a soccer game as they all want to join in.

With respect to your comment above "  It is hard enough to persuade people to run races now " my solution for that  rest at the door step of the clubs management team to provide race support them selves they want the honour  and glory then they have to work for it.

M's has a cumulative system for recording points , an uncomplicated task for sure. if you can add you can score1

Competitors get fleet plus one for being  naughty which is added and  done on the spot, quick and easy with the stroke of the pen .

At a soccer game  Man.  vr. L/pool.  Get a red flag and you are gone.

Ian, I believe that prevention  is better  than disciplining adults ,  hence tough points penalties makes  competitors think twice ,as the game is all about points as most know when they have breached a rule

Enforcing   penalty turns, invariably ends up in a fight with the perpatrator pleading  innocents , not good ! 

We have concluded turns are subject to " Embarrassment  + Penalty*  a double dip .  What are we trying to accomplish here ?  There is the risk of additional collision and additional rule infractions and the possible inability for the competitor to completed the penalty in heavy weather or under calm conditions , also there could be multiple violation going on at the same time , say at the start line and at turn markers.

Edited by Donald Cave
Punctuation . Additional Data.

When forcing another boats off course or luffing other boats as we know it  became part of the rules , so did  confrontation and consequences became part of racing.

"Power over others  is weakness disguised as strength".

Edited by Donald Cave
spelling.