Is IOM class now a one design?

timentide

I am very new to RC yachts and have been trying to research which class of yacht to get. The more I read about the top end helmsmen in this class the more they seem to be using the same hulls and rigs. Is this one design racing under the guise of a development class? Is everyone waiting for a design breakthrough? Instead of getting a secondhand IOM to race against the leading design, why should I not just get a DF95 and go one design racing for the same cost? Am I missing something here for example when the gear guide says Britpop in a trial fact they are all modified by their owners but still call them Britpops? Can someone please enlighten me so a yacht can be bought soon. Thanks in advance.

A very good question, I can understand the quandary to a newcomer to our sport.

As I own a design other than a Britpop I can happily say you don't need a Britpop to finish at or near the top at a ranking or National championship.

Would I of finished higher than my 8th position @ the 2016 nationals if i'd been sailing a Britpop?

No! quite simply i was beaten by better skippers, hull design had nothing to do with it, I'm sure if you were to ask Graham Bantock he would give a similar answer.

Will there be a design breakthrough? Very unlikely at present, if you are to look at the history of the class it would seem that approx every 10-15 years a new breakthrough comes to the fore, there is no sign of this at present and many of the current crop of top designs will be competitive for many years.

All of the Britpop's at the front of the fleet are using standard foils and are all built to strict tolerances, quite simply there is no difference in the hulls.

The rigs would most likely be built to BG's rig guide albeit with the owner building them, so have the Britpop's been heavily modified, NO.

So what does the IOM offer beyond a DF 95?

Class racing at hundreds of UK clubs, all UK districts, national and international level.

Diversity within the fleet, don't forget Brad Gibson's POP is a home built boat!

The IOM also gives the opportunity to sail against the best in the business.

Is there a reason that the likes of Brad Gibson, Rob Walsh, Martin Roberts and Colin Goodman and many others don't sail a DF95?

Yes, there is simply not the level of competition within the DF95 fleet and for that reason many of the top DF 95 skippers sail at IOM district, ranking and national championship to test themselves.

If you do have any questions, or need any help to find a boat or club feel free to reply or send me a private message.

A couple of things to add -

1. Before choosing which class to get, find out what is being sailed locally - IOMs are sailed at most locations, but if you are tempted to go for another class it is worth checking who sails them and where.

2. There is a skill set to radio sailing, so having a good previous generation IOM will not be too big a handicap until you have acquired these skills. This is not just confined to the racing; handling and maintaining the boat is something to be learnt, no point in paying a lot money for the latest sails if you trash them rigging and de rigging, or put lots of gashes in the gelcoat because you are struggling with getting your thumbs to work in conjunction with your brain.

Plenty of time for the latest and greatest once the buzz kicks in (and it will!)

Further to my post earlier today, please see a post below by Brad on a different thread on starting out in the class and sport.

It made sense to re-post on this thread as offers some sound advice to newcomers.

Hi Erick,

As we have exchanged emails with regards to your search, I felt it might be useful to share my response for anyone else looking to enter into top line competitive racing within the sport. I will also make clear that my response was copied also to our UK builder who I am sure will be in contact with you when they return to the workshop.

With regards to starting out new, the below may assist your decision making:

I would use an analogy of myself wanting to get back into dinghy/skiff sailing with either a Moth or Musto skiff. Honestly I think I could pick it all back up within 12-18 months and a lot of sailing but the reality is that i would do a lot of swimming, make a lot of basic errors and probably damage some kit before I became confident enough to say I was sailing anything near its capabilities.

Now of course the damage aspect is reduced with radio sailing somewhat, but the mistake factor and learning curve can be one that takes a while to get the best from your equipment. Simple things such as handling light mylar sails when changing a rig quickly, ensuring electrics and gear are well maintained etc means that with anyone naturally, a few basics take a little time.

I would always recommend a decent 2nd hand boat first up with a view that if sailed to its potential you will beat a not so well sailed new design. Once you are confident you will know when the step up is required, having not spoilt any of your brand new kit on pit falls.

Whilst it is always nice to have new and shiny, im afraid that in our sport this is very rarely, if ever, a direct route to the top for anyone. Those at the top of our game are essentially the ones who have done their 'Apprenticeship' with older designs, starting at the bottom and working their way up. There can be the odd exception where a natural talent may skip a few rungs of the ladder but these are rare. Having the notion of nothing to blame is nice, but it can go both ways and in many examples often works to the sports detriment. The skipper who doesn't see instant results, often without understanding or willing to understand why can leave our sport as quickly as he joins, most commonly seen in one design racing but happens in all forms. It is just far too easy to blame equipment rather than yourself.....

I did also pass on to you a list of designs that will hold you in any company if sailed well for the first 12 to 18months. Some perform better in specific conditions than others but that is all part of the learning curve. Racing such designs will give you a far better understanding of tuning, balance and sailability in all winds and be invaluable later in experience gained. They will all perform better than any newcomer will sail them over this time and will nearly always not be the reason you are not gaining early success. Dependent on anyone's level of dinghy or keelboat experience it will take anywhere from 2-5 years of commitment to gain consistent results (top 10) at the sharp end of a competitive (district/ranking) fleet. Some after 20+ years still struggle to consistently get there but they keep coming back for the challenge and the days they do get it right.

I would suggest spending the 9 months waiting for any new boat racing a quality second hand one as a novice would still leave anyone short on experience to get the best from the new boat for a good while. Don't sit idle as underestimating the time it takes to be truly good at any discipline often ends in failure.

If I can help further you have my email.

Cheers

Brad

PS. I decided to try and learn the guitar late last year. In looking at what to buy did I need the 'Fender' or 'Gibson' top line gear? As you have done, I asked some experienced friends who play in bands, took their advice and went for something far more suitable to a novice and I can safely say I know it is me when the thing doesn't sound right by sounding more like Brian Griffin than Brian May :)

Thank you Gavin and Brad for your advice, iOS much appreciated. I understand the comments on how you learn the ropes and it takes time and possible damage to your yachting the meantime. I also appreciate that IOM racing is the class racing to have for size of fleets,clubs racing them and top sailors taking part but it was the initial cost of say a good secondhand IOM being equal or exceeding the cost of a new DF95. Whilst learning I thought that to eliminate variations in hull shape would take one less variable away when judging my own progress. Perhaps the way is to learn on a DF95 and when the time is right to move up to Iom. I am sure you are all aware of the growth in DF65/95 racing fleets in the UK and worldwide so finding a club should not pose a problem. Thanks again for the advice and those of BG also. I am off to the world's in France in May so hope to pick a few more brains there!

Not sure on the growth of the DF boats, whilst popular there are very few down here in the SW with no District series.

It would seem they are popular but only in pockets of the country and do not hold nationwide appeal or a proper regional series.

Whilst I can understand a new Spangly DF might seem attractive it will not provide the skills required to make the step to the IOM easier.

As the IOM has a heavier ballast and taller rigs the boat will handle differently.

Combine that with rigs that have been developed over the years with pre bend and proper seamed sails learning to trim correctly is more advanced than the soft carbon masts and flat sails found on DF boats.

Don't be fooled that point of sale cost offers value for money, it doesn't.

Whilst an IOM might cost a little more depreciation on a used boat if looked after is minimal, so when coming to upgrade getting your money back is not an issue.

Combine the above with the opportunity to sail an IOM at club, district and national level and actually use the boat the IOM offers fantastic value for money.

Whilst we all look to fast track our way up the fleet there is no golden bullet, time with the boat learning how to properly trim rigs and sails can only be learnt sailing that class of boat, if the design is a little older it really does not matter, the skill set learned is the most important thing.

We all have to to start somewhere and having been in the fleet now for 4-5 years i only wish I'd attended a ranking event earlier, with the top guys on hand to offer advice and show how a boat is properly trimmed without any doubt the best way to fast track the learning process.

The social is pretty good as well ;)

By all means ask away at the IOM worlds, i'm sure the majority of the worlds best skippers will further emphasise the points already made.

As you say Gavin, it depends where you are located in the country and what kind of racing you're after.

If, like you & I, you want to race against the best they are to be found in the IOM fleet. If you want to race in a fleet of almost identical boats knowing that your competitors have not "bought extra boat speed" then a DF or indeed RC Laser could be the boat for you.

Love 'em or hate 'em the "plug & play" classes have certainly introduced several good new competitors to the sport.

And the social is good whatever class you sail!!

Thanks Gavin. I think you have clarified very well the confusion I felt about learning on differing classes and will now continue my search for a reasonable secondhand IOM. If the class has such helpful sailors as you I am sure I will enjoy the learning process and racing with you all.

John, If you need any advice when buying a used boat by all means give me a call on 07885526408 or send me a pm.

There will be a guide to buying a used IOM on the GBR IOM website in due course, however if anyone requires any assistance prior to this going online, don't hesitate to get in touch.

• 3 months later...

International One Metre

To be a one design or to be a restricted class,

or could we be both?

We probably all know the strengths and weakness of a restricted class, it promotes the ethos of the fastest boat wins (not always true, you do need to be a good sailor as well) but it does also have a costs disadvantage and cost is important. This letter is intended as a tool to prompt discussion with the hope that many good ideas could see the light of day.

Modern competitive sailing began back in the days of the first Americas cup when boats were built to individual design and money was no problem. The first cup was awarded by the Royal Yacht Squadron Cowes in 1851 leading to the first challenge in 1870. Now the Americas cup is quite different, with costs under control, regular events and a level playing field. The answer was to move to a one design class which is the way the rest of the world has already gone.

So why not consider an I.O.M. one design as a feeder class for the currant I.O.Ms. I can already hear the die hards calling heretic, and we ran the last non believer out of town. I can also hear some saying, don't fix what is not broken, and I agree! I wish to make it quite clear that I believe the I.O.M class is a great institution and the success of the class is very evident in the number of enthusiasts world wide. The association has a long and valuable history which could give a great boost to a new one design class.

We can always improve, for example many clubs experience a lack of new members wanting to take up the sport, in part due to high costs, also members leaving due to dexterity difficulties in later life both these issues need addressing.

Starting a new class from scratch is a big job and takes many years to come to fruition. So why not just pick one of the existing I.O.M,s and use it as the basis to produce a new one design class. Tackling issues such as cost, ease of use and having licensed builders supplying completed boats already measured. Making it easier for new members to get started, easier for clubs to start a new class and with a boat that could be legal in both camps with just a couple of extra rigs. It should be also possible to run open events for both classes at the same venue.

Some starter ideas of mine to get the ball rolling :-

Target price 700 to 800 US Dollars on the water. This should be possible as it would allow

builders to mass produce hulls in larger numbers as no obsolescence.

A minimum weight increase to allow a stronger hulls to be built. So less need for

repairs, I am not saying by how much, I leave that to those more qualified than me.

A one rig design, using the I.O.M. B rig only. A and C rigs could be added by owners as and when they wanted to try their luck in the main stream.

A fully water tight hull and water tight central compartment for all electrics.

with accessibility through a water tight lid. This would just need a change of the deck layout to take a separate compartment. and a small screw cover for batteries.

The ability to fit and remove all electrics with ease. With out needing 20/20 vision and no problem. with shaky hands

Water proof servos as part of the class rules (where and when available) and a move to water resistant receivers as well. Some dialogue with manufacturers would be necessary and I do understand that manufactures are only interested in numbers, but we are a large group but need to get bigger.

To ditch the continuous drum line system, favouring a continuous belt and toothed pulley. This eliminates lines breaking or damage when a sheet snags, the belt just simply jumps a tooth and is easy to re a just.

Thank you for reading my letter and hope you could post my comments on your Facebook etc

and I look forward to some feed back..

David Lees

Spain