gavin watson

Alternative scoring systems

There is a push to run SHRS by a few IOMICA member nations.

When this motion was voted on initially HMS vs SHRS two years ago the vote to retain HMS was unanimous.

Earlier this year a different motion to offer alternative tested systems was adopted.

A few on the IOMICA forum are now suggesting that SHRS should now be used at major events.

For those unaware SHRS uses rounds of seeding races for up to 80% of an event and then fixed fleets i.e. gold, silver, bronze etc.

In essence doing away with a promotion system used first off by EORS and then by HMS.

Recent GBR voting to the IOMICA motions suggests we would prefer to use the tried and tested HMS and not to use a untested elite system.

The most alarming point would be that SHRS has not been thoroughly tested. To our knowledge it has not been used in more than two fleets!

The IOMICA forum has been stagnant for a while, however it is important that GBR IOM class skippers have their say.

More info can be found http://www.iomclass.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&p=11754&sid=f26b3f33396f05197d3ba71e2e664134#p11754

I am new to rc and as yet have not done a iom event. From my limited experience of events in other classes, I can see an advantage in this scoring system. I realise its fixed just at the end, but this appeals rather than the constant " move up- one race out of my depth- move down"!. a little racing with others at my current level sounds good

I am new to rc and as yet have not done a iom event. From my limited experience of events in other classes, I can see an advantage in this scoring system. I realise its fixed just at the end, but this appeals rather than the constant " move up- one race out of my depth- move down"!. a little racing with others at my current level sounds good

Hi Ian,

I think the system actually works in the opposite way. You get "placed" in a heat of mixed abilities for the majority of the event and then sail with these for 50-75% of the event, only being seeded at the end.

So in theory you could be in a fleet of 10 boats where the newcomer is constantly sailing with a potential winner of the competition, which is probably going to be less encouraging than the current system where even a novice can get a good result in the lowest heat and be enthused by a bit of glory.

I remember sailing a version of this system a couple of times at Bournville a while back and whilst it made the race management easier - just call the heats no need to think- and made the turn around quicker - it made the racing rather predictable and provided less of a challenge for those at the top whilst frustrtaing me - as the novice.

I am not sure of the reasoning for the current push for SHRS but i see some issues that would need to be dealt with, and i suspect that when these are considered we would end up with HMS by another name.

I think the push for the SHRS system of scoring is because of the 'hot water' that is created by only having one seeding race with HMS and now a few skippers have come up with an alternative system that rids us of this 'hot water' one race shoot out that so often shapes your whole event.

The simple and ever so popular fix to this is to revert back to the original 3 seeding races within HMS. Indeed when I asked everyone i could find at the IOM Euros in Garda which was over 30 skippers, only one person was a fan of the one seeding race.

I must admit, I did want to sail at an event that used the SHRS system so I could give my opinion on it after experiencing it first hand but did not fully understand that a completed round of races had to be completed before the next round of races could be sorted and think this is a recipe for disaster and needs fixing, you would get 70 plus skippers waiting round the fleet board awaiting to see which heat they next sailed in, it also leaves no time at all to get yourself 'in the zone' if you find yourself in the first heat.