Sign in to follow this  
paulbarton

ASBO refurb post recovery from bottom of the lake

Story so far. Day 1

The Rx and rudder servo and LiFe battery are removed and disposed of. Rudder servo powered on but was clearly seized. LiFe battery was showing signs of corrosion on main connectors and balance plug. The RX was seriously corroded.

The Rudder linkage was damaged at some time and has been removed.

New Futaba rudder servo fitted and tested.

Radio pot removed and recess cleaned up

RMG Smart switch and RMG 280 ES winch removed and returned for service (dried out but not powered up). Will be interested to see how the so called waterproof switch has suffered being submerged for 72 hours.

All deck patches removed and hull cleaned ready for reapplication.

Boat hull and internals inspected and cleaned ready for reassembly.

keel checked and stored

B rig was on the boat when it sank and the ball-raced gooseneck was showing signs of corrosion and was feeling rough when rotated. Disassembled and regreased with silicone grease. Gooseneck is noted for replacement in due course.

The intention is to fit lightweight grp patches to all foredeck openings which will necessitate fitting small landing pads at the corners and midway along long sides. I've ordered 0.5mm grp sheets to facilitate this. Once they are shaped and landings fitted these will be covered with new deck patches and stuck down. I anticipate the weight penalty will be about 50 grams but the confidence will be well worth it.

Started out in 150ft schooner. Started out RC sailing with 30 year old IOM, then went to an ASBO, then DF65 X2, and now a new Sedici IOM. The Cotswold Model Yacht Club is a wonderful place to sail with friendly people and lively sailing.

Repaired winch on its way back. Motor and pot replaced. Old switch is toast so new one on order.

Progress is being made.

Just need to check hull thoroughly for historical hairline cracks. Any ideas how to find them. Wondered about using a dye?

Paul

Started out in 150ft schooner. Started out RC sailing with 30 year old IOM, then went to an ASBO, then DF65 X2, and now a new Sedici IOM. The Cotswold Model Yacht Club is a wonderful place to sail with friendly people and lively sailing.

Hi Paul,

Sorry to read your boat went down.

From experience, and coming from a land that has been wary of soft deck type boats for longer than my time, I would list the following points why your patch may have failed.

- Patch was not quality Stickyback/Deck patch material readily available from many sources. I mention this as an unwoven type patch such as sign vinyl or fablon should never be used for this job. Brittle when cold and soft and stretchy when warm and offers little resistance in a bump with other boats

- Patch has been re-used/re-applied numerous times. This should really be avoided at all costs as adhesion will be lost, especially in a damp enviroment

- Deck has been polished or waxed in the vicinity and adhesion as a result will not be what is required

And finally

- Too little overlap of patch covering the deck opening. I suggest on an IOM any less than 7-8mm overlap is not enough for a reliable patch. I aim for around 8-10mm overlap on any patch.

It is important to avoid any creases in the material where it is stuck down. No matter how much you rub it down, it will leak. I would also avoid using any weak soapy solutions to apply deck patches. Others have had success with this method but a light soap film will always be present between the patch and deck. I clean down the deck area with Meths before application as anything stronger may damage your painted or gel coat surface.

I have seen boats of all sizes from RG to A class bashed up and down lakes in the strongest of winds and nosedive conditions with standard deck patch doing the job. If it didn't, boats wouldn't be offered this way. This coming from a past sceptic that built full deck boats. If applied properly a deck patch boat can happily remain 100% watertight if the build is in order.

A few other tips for open water sailing and maintenance, including finding any leaks can be found here on the Marblehead class website https://marbleheadsailing.wordpress.com/2017/06/16/three-weeks-for-tweaks/

Cheers

Brad

Just a quick note to say the RMG switch is IP65 rated, that means it will work in a wet environment but not designed to operate fully submerged. When returned to us it was working but it could not be guaranteed for how long hence replacement was the safe option.