Sign in to follow this  
CornishRaine

Penalty turn required?

Could someone tell me if my main boom touches a bouy on rounding a mark,would that be a penalty? and warrant a 360.

I look forward to replies to this.

Thanks in advance.

Melissa

The simple answer is yes (unless you happen to be sailing an RC Laser, or are sailing in Spain as this class and this national authority have changed rule 31).

Knowing that you have touched a mark and sailing on is not sailing in compliance with recognised principles of fair play and sportsmanship, thus breaking rule 2 Fair Sailing.

The presence of observers, who may not make a hail of contact, does not relieve the sailor of the responsibility of following and enforcing the rules A fundamental principle of sportsmanship is that when a competitor breaks a rule they will promptly take a penalty (see Basic Principle).

Gordon

Thanks for that Gordon, it happened to me and I took a penalty turn, however I was watching a You Tube video of IOM ranking event in 2011, and the boat directly behind Brad, did exactly that,( Hit bouy with main boom,) and did not take a penalty turn. It maybe that the rule has changed since then, but thought I would ask to be sure.

Thanks again for your reply.

Melissa

Melissa,

Are you sure you saw he boom actually touch the mark.

The skipper MAY have sheeted it in at that crucial time .

When observing it is important NOT to observe a secondary effect and make an inference as to the cause.

i.e.

Mark moved - could be wake, fish, wind wave action

Boom came in - was sheeted

And so on.

Far too many skippers make erroneous calls of contact when observing after seeing secondary effects and not the actual contact.

Dave

Hi Melissa

There can be several reasons for a penalty not being taken by a boat touching a mark.

In the same way that an observer must only call contact if he is sure it happened a skipper would not be obliged to take a penalty without a call if he was in doubt about contact.

Secondly you were watching a video possibly taken with a long lense that could show a minor contact not obvious to the naked eye.

As the great Paul Elvstrom said " if in winnng the race you have lost the respect of your fellow competitors,you have won nothing"

in a largely self policing sport where not all rule transgressions will be called, this is a good thought to have written on our Tx!

A good point Barry.

Observes must remain within the same Control Area as the skippers.

Cameramen are not obliged to do this and the shot angle is sometime not available to the Skipper.

Observes and Skippers may not use visual aids, lenses, cameras etc. and as you point out the image filled the screen.

a Loud Crack - well you have not heard my boom come flying across or perhaps the grinding of my winch gear box. It make my old Morris Minor Differential after 200k miles seem quite.

But the biggest test really is the scrutiny the Skippers in front and behind. No way would Brad have missed it.

However please do not misinterpret was I write as condoning rule breaking. It is NOT.

My point is that many a good event has been spoilt by bad and selective observing and erroneous calls.

Ian and you know Paul ?

Dave

If you are concentrating on your boat, there is little chance that you will not know when your boat has hit the mark or been in danger of hitting it.

If you think you have hit it, then the decent thing is to do a turn. If you are not sure, but someone else calls it, then the decent thing is to do a turn.

My experience is that the vast majority of observers will be cautious, and only call when they are sure, and also that even if they are wrong, complaining does nothing, so the decent thing is to do a turn.

We all get it wrong at times, so if you do, the decent thing is to do a turn. :):)

A possible suggestion that e see used at our club on a regular basis is to ask a question of the other competitors, it is realistic that the skipper is unsightec, or short sighted maybe, and a call did I hit it is we find answered genuinely by the others, but I do agree if in doubt you should do something if in doubt do a turn

Mike Ewart

Mike

We all agree,

To summarise the discussion:-

The question was:_

* Hitting a mark with the boom a breach of Rule 31. - Yes

* Why did the observer NOT call the contact in a particular Ranking Race.

We ALL agree

We were exploiting WHY the contact was NOT called not if Rule 31 was broken

An observer or event the skipper may not have seen the contact due to:-

Angle or distance

We all agree that photographic evidence CANNOT initiate a Protest - It may be used to validate a Protest in some circumstances. This point is reinforced somewhere in the RRS

At 2 islands RSC you are seldom 120 meters from a mark. Where as at some event it is hard to actually see such detail as Sail Numbers let alone a boom

One event I sailed at the mark were so big that the boat was hidden behind a the Mark from the control area

Darin

Decent thing aside, if an observer , who it supposed to be a disinterested party, calls Contact then it is a Contact.

DAve =