Sign in to follow this  

IOM Veteran National Championship - Results

IOM Veteran National Championship - Results

Fellas

I was reviewing my atrocious performance at this years IOM Veteran Event.

Whist doing this I noticed that :-

Two people who never actually attended the event managed 16 points in Heat 1, seeding heat, and were then subsequently scored DNF/DNS for the two days.

27 boat at the event two seeding fleets 13 in one and 14 in the other

29 boats ( counting the non-participants ) 14 and 15

So the non-attendees were classes DNS = 16 in the seeding heat

This artificially increased the number of entrants from 27 to 29 i.e. increasing DNF score by 2.

One appreciates that HMS allocates the scores but software is reliant upon the data entered into it i.e. not entering the names of contestants who did not attend the event and possibly did not pay the entry Fee before the Closing Date and moving retirees into the appropriate area as and when they Withdraw / retire from the Event.

However one might sight Rule A9 -

A boat that did not come to the starting area shall be scored points for the finishing place one more than the number of boats entered in the series.

But is this really applicable since the EVENT is NOT a Series but is a two Day Regatta.

Given these boats did not, in reality, even attended Registration but had Entered some month before, they simply did not turn up, are they actually Entrants

Similarly

A number of entrants Withdrew their Entry during the course of the Regatta.

Stormed of in a huff to be accurate; the Event was a little trying

Surly in Withdrawing from an event one withdraws and that score is deleted

or at least -

the number of competitors is reduced for the remainder of the event.

Review:-

https://district.mya-uk.co.uk/midland/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2018/06/MYA-IOM-Veterans-2018-results.pdf

A boat that DNS/ DNF Heat scores only the points based upon the Starters or scheduled Starters in that heat. e.g. 12 Scheduled Starters - DNF-13

or should it be 11 Finishers - DNF = 12

Quite fortuitously the overall positions are not effected but it is indeed the principle and correctness of Race Administration and adequacy of the Result Audit by MYA who sanctioned the event.

Your thoughts - Please

John ,

We missed you, and clearly we kept you place warm for the entire weekend

Mr Kemp similarly did not attend and he told me he was not coming a week or so before.

dd

One looks forward to more comment / thoughts

I can do better than that.

I am on the IOM ranking results for day 2 at Lincoln and not only did I not attend I did not even enter :)

I am on the IOM ranking results for day 2 at Lincoln and not only did I not attend I did not even enter :)

That is more of a worry.

Those who are entered but dont turn up need to be included as they may just be stuck in traffic. If its a ranking and day two is a different entry then this should be accounted for.

Darin,

At this time I am going to assume you are answering in your capacity of MYA Race Officer and member of the MYA Council. OK !

I believe you, MYA Race Officer, have chosen to deliberately ignore the clear point raised.

In simple terms:-

By including Phantom Competitors the DNF and DNS and DIS scores allocated are artificially increase by the number of Phantom Competitors in the Last Fleet Only

A fleet is not effected

2018 MYA IOM Veteran National Championship is a clear example of this as are other Ranking Events as reported by Gary

Not to be overly critical

One believes the MYA Race Officer has a Duty of Care to review MYA Sanctioned Event Score Sheets in order to ensure there are NO anomalies BEFORE Scores are published.

One could only imagine your response if you found that you had been beaten into 2nd place due to a scoring ERROR.

One is astonished by the seemingly cavalier attitude towards Event Administration and the lame expiation of the anomaly tendered by the MYA Race Officer and I believe this to be un-acceptable.

A competitor can be added at any time to the score sheet AND a score sheet can be corrected at any time.

All Events be they IOM Ranking or IOM Veteran or Footy SHALL be treated with SAME attention to detail and correctness.

I was at pains to make light of this initially but really !!

Darin,

One believes the MYA Race Officer has a Duty of Care to review MYA Sanctioned Event Score Sheets in order to ensure there are NO anomalies BEFORE Scores are published.

One could only imagine your response if you found that you had been beaten into 2nd place due to a scoring ERROR.

One is astonished by the seemingly cavalier attitude towards Event Administration and the lame expiation of the anomaly tendered by the MYA Race Officer and I believe this to be un-acceptable.

A competitor can be added at any time to the score sheet AND a score sheet can be corrected at any time.

All Events be they IOM Ranking or IOM Veteran or Footy SHALL be treated with SAME attention to detail and correctness.

I was at pains to make light of this initially but really !!

Morning David,

Despite the opinion of my family, I am not at every event, ;)

Therefore I am not aware of who attends/ doesnt attend, enters/doesnt enter, leaves halfway through/ has a breakdown during the 1st race and goes home so the results as presented have to be assumed to be correct unless notified otherwise.

It is also common for the results to be published prior to the race team presenting them to the MYA Racing Officer as this is what the competitors/members want to see.

Darin

That is more of a worry.

Those who are entered but dont turn up need to be included as they may just be stuck in traffic. If its a ranking and day two is a different entry then this should be accounted for.

Not sure how its happened especially as Tony Edwards who also only entered for 1 day (the same as me) was not scored on second.

That is more of a worry.

Not sure how its happened especially as Tony Edwards who also only entered for 1 day (the same as me) was not scored on second.

Sounds like human error.

That is more of a worry.

Sounds like human error.

Yep. Doubt it was HMS software :). Most likely a copy of initial day 1 spread sheet (before racing) was taken and edited and i did not get removed.

Most if not all errors are attributable to Human Error

And he who has never made a Mistake has Never Done Anything

This is why we CHECK at each phase of a process. But what is this audit process given we have:-

(a) Class Association

(i) Class Captain

(b) MYA

(i) MYA Race Officer

(ii) MYA Technical Officer

© IRSA

(d) Other undefined persons

One does not need to be at an Event to see immediately that something is awry or is/was it as we will explore below.

A row of DNS, DNF being should immediately ring an alarm bell at each phase of the Process.

15 , 30 , 30 , 30 , 30 , 30 , 30 , 30 , 30 , 30 , 30 , 30 ,30 , 30 , 30 , 30 , 30 , 30 , 30 , 30 , 30 , 30 , 30 , 30 ,30 , 30 , 30 , 30 , 30 , 30 ,

One can immediately see the quandary that the Rules of Appendix A creates to a Race Organisation.

Do they delete an entry because the entrant may have got out of bed late, got stuck in traffic, may have been waylaid by a Cat and a Fox

Rule A2.2

If a boat has entered ANY race in a Series, she shall be scored for the whole series.

Rule A4.2

A boat that did not start, did not finish, retired or was disqualified shall be scored points for the finishing place one more than the number of boats ENTER in the Series. A boat that is penalized under rule 30.2 or that takes a penalty under rule 44.3(a) shall be scored points as provided in rule 44.3©.

Without exploring what constitute a SERIES for the time being , that's next week.

The Question for the time being is:-

What constitutes having been ENTERED

Is it having :-

a) Entered via E-mail / MYA Entry system a week if not more before the event so as to ensure your Sail Number is reserved or other reason

or

b) Been present on the Day, boat available for Scrutiny, of the Event at Final Registration

Sadly the Racing Rule of Sailing do not define this.

Given this, the SSI should define this clearly so there is no ambiguity.

Clearly if (a) is the case then a totally untenable situation arises since

30 entered 4 did not attend -> 15 in seeding only 13 at Start Line in each Heat 1

There after

Heat 2 =

Fleet A = 17 Fleet B 17- ( 4 that were not there ) = 13

4 boat promotion

A boat that Does Not Finish, classified DNF, DNS, RET and DIS in any Heat, for any reason, in Fleet A or Fleet B is awarded 31 points

NOT 16 if he DNF from a Seeding Race

or 18 for DNF for a A Heat

and 31 for a DNF in the B heat

Just to pre-empt the puritans amongst us, Rule 62 provides for Redress

What ever it is to be (a) or (b) may the MYA Responsible Person please be clear in place of tendering expiations clearly intended to belittle.

One day an Event might be protested on the basis of incorrect scoring or worse still ... you ( an undefined person ) might be adversely effected by this.