• 3 weeks later...

I have one.

I only race it at club level and am relatively inexperienced. I am therefore not best placed to give you an expert appraisal.

What I am told is that it will not compete at the top level.

In light winds I struggle, especially against the BP. But that maybe my 1 sails / rigs. With the 2 and 3 I do much better.

It is beautifully built, by ARS composites. They are good at communicating with buyers and it was not too much trouble importing.

They also build Tara, and a new one KMR ?

£200/300 for 2 rigs seems optimistic.

I have RMG winch so a bit more money there.

Do I wish I had waited for a BP? Yes and no!

If it sank tomorrow would I buy another? No, I would probably look at sedici, manta or kmr.

The market for iom survives on the idea that the latest design is faster. Any of the top ten rated skippers would win with my boat, or indeed a plank with an iom rig bolted on. If you are losing by 5 boat lengths, a change of hull might get you on the podium- any more and its a change on the TX that is needed!

• 3 months later...

Mark,

I would not loose any sleep over it.

We both know that the converse is true i.e. A good boat sailed by a bad skipper will do badly.

One is reminded of that song by Page & Plant 1970

/Oooo and it make me wonder / - being but one line

/There's a lady who's sure/ all that glitters is gold/ being the opening line

Now that's got me started and I will play it five times tonight or until my fingers will bleed. Think of it while you are sailing on Sunday but the tempo might be a bit slow until the third part

• 7 months later...

I belatedly came across this thread.

For what it's worth, the economical boats I have sailed against include several I would regard as good value in terms of results for the price.

Nothing would turn a less talented sailor into a winner but a top boat might flatter by promoting a few places.

A good sailor probably needs one of the expensive types to do well at national level,  but could put up a good showing at club or regional level with an eco design.

From observation over several years I can recommend any of these modern era designs - Tara, MX, Wedge or for home builder the Alternative.

Jerry

3 hours ago, FRA 3759 said:

I belatedly came across this thread.

For what it's worth, the economical boats I have sailed against include several I would regard as good value in terms of results for the price.

Nothing would turn a less talented sailor into a winner but a top boat might flatter by promoting a few places.

A good sailor probably needs one of the expensive types to do well at national level,  but could put up a good showing at club or regional level with an eco design.

From observation over several years I can recommend any of these modern era designs - Tara, MX, Wedge or for home builder the Alternative.

Jerry

Edited by ianrmcdonald
Correction