Erick Brunswick

The Wedge

I went to our local pond today to watch the sailing and saw a Wedge IOM

It is lovely

I was told it cost

Hull complete £680 including delivery to UK

Winch £180

Sails/ Rig £300 A & B

Is this correct - about £1200 New boat on the water ?

Is it any good

I have one.

I only race it at club level and am relatively inexperienced. I am therefore not best placed to give you an expert appraisal.

What I am told is that it will not compete at the top level.

In light winds I struggle, especially against the BP. But that maybe my 1 sails / rigs. With the 2 and 3 I do much better.

It is beautifully built, by ARS composites. They are good at communicating with buyers and it was not too much trouble importing.

They also build Tara, and a new one KMR ?

£200/300 for 2 rigs seems optimistic.

I have RMG winch so a bit more money there.

Do I wish I had waited for a BP? Yes and no!

If it sank tomorrow would I buy another? No, I would probably look at sedici, manta or kmr.

That is a sad report.

Looking at Mark Dick's results on the Bourneville Web Site.. He seem to do ok against Britpops and a totally bonkers V9.

There seems to be two more there and I do believe that Sedici costs considerably more.

As I said, I am not a top skipper.

Mark Dicks I am sure is a far better skipper than me.

I have to say that when I swap boats with my local club BP owner my wedge is faster than his BP. Much to his delight!!

The market for iom survives on the idea that the latest design is faster. Any of the top ten rated skippers would win with my boat, or indeed a plank with an iom rig bolted on. If you are losing by 5 boat lengths, a change of hull might get you on the podium- any more and its a change on the TX that is needed!

Works be nice to know who says the wedge won't compete at to level.

The BP is the benchmark that changed the way ioms performed across the wind range.

Any design sailed by a good skipper will do well.

Mark,

I would not loose any sleep over it.

We both know that the converse is true i.e. A good boat sailed by a bad skipper will do badly.

One is reminded of that song by Page & Plant 1970

/Oooo and it make me wonder / - being but one line

/There's a lady who's sure/ all that glitters is gold/ being the opening line

Now that's got me started and I will play it five times tonight or until my fingers will bleed. Think of it while you are sailing on Sunday but the tempo might be a bit slow until the third part

I belatedly came across this thread.

For what it's worth, the economical boats I have sailed against include several I would regard as good value in terms of results for the price.

Nothing would turn a less talented sailor into a winner but a top boat might flatter by promoting a few places.

A good sailor probably needs one of the expensive types to do well at national level,  but could put up a good showing at club or regional level with an eco design.

From observation over several years I can recommend any of these modern era designs - Tara, MX, Wedge or for home builder the Alternative.

Jerry

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, FRA 3759 said:

I belatedly came across this thread.

For what it's worth, the economical boats I have sailed against include several I would regard as good value in terms of results for the price.

Nothing would turn a less talented sailor into a winner but a top boat might flatter by promoting a few places.

A good sailor probably needs one of the expensive types to do well at national level,  but could put up a good showing at club or regional level with an eco design.

From observation over several years I can recommend any of these modern era designs - Tara, MX, Wedge or for home builder the Alternative.

Jerry

Edited by ianrmcdonald
Correction