Bikeboy

The colour of your boat.

Am new to this. Just bought myself a Dragon Force 65, am happy with the performance, the problem i am having is seeing it in certain positions, it' a black hull, and i think thats where the problems lies. what is the easiest colour to see on the water, i have some pink paint in a rattle can, am going to spray the sides of the hull, Is there a better colour?

Cheers Del.

Dayglow Yellow

or

Dayglow Orange

like a Hi Vis jacket should be easy to pick out and quite distinctive

or

Yellow on Blue was chosen by the USAF and US Coastguard.

or how about a 100 mm Wide Vertical strip in Red on the black in the middle - Use Solar Film rather than paint ..its easier

I'm a fan of yellow boats. I feel like that color is easy to keep an eye on when they're a bit farther away. That's pretty much the only reason why I like yellow.

I to am a fan of Yellow, Orange and Red. Mine is RED

Snag is of the 14 active boats at out club 5 are Yellow, 3 are Orange and the rest Red so you are back to step one trying to decide which Red boat you are.

I saw a chrome spray paint o E-bay , sounds like fun, perhaps next years colour will be Black and chrome or Purple sails.

I favour yellow and luckily, so far, seem to be the only one in my club to do so. Does make picking out my boat in the pack rounding the far mark easier.

PB232493.thumb.JPG.42bf3cb8d180f136eb4062956ea8192b.JPG

PROTEST the Yellow Boat

24 is Peter Moore

505 is me

77 Don Charlesworth

75 Tony Edwards

1977421358_IOMMDCS-2018-R3-leeward-gate1.thumb.jpg.8de537faf0d7db7a383c1774442e45e3.jpg

Which of the orange boats ?

11 -me

111 Roger Donkin I think

11 H - I forget

Hi I am also new to the sport with a DF 65 and find most difficult thing is seeing things clearly at the far marks and to fine trim the sails.

Have put orange sticker kit on white hull which helps a bit but have just aquired old IOM with orange and black SAILS which when i get it refubished and on the water should help a lot ( I hope ).

Which does raise the question, all photos I have seen of IOM boats seem to have white sails, is their some sort of restriction on coloured sails ??

Peter

There are NO Restrictions imposed upon the colour of IOM sails.

However, from memory I understand that most recently IRSA Technical Committee in conjunction the IOM Class Association effectively ruled that:-

The Sail SHALL be of Uniform Colour ....

in order to comply with the requirement that sails SHALL be of Uniform PLY

We/I am not going to debate how or where the Uniformity of Yellow Ripstop Nylon Fabric differs from Blue Ripstop Nylon Fabric of the same weight / class.

I understand that IRSA and IOMIC came to this conclusion at a distance without actually examining the actual material in response to a TQ.

One might suggest that Class Rules of some full size classes impose much the same restrictions upon Uniformity of Ply without imposing Uniformity of Colour

Would World Sailing come to the same conclusion as IRSA IOMICA, you decide.

David one of the problems would be that if a boat had different colour panels it can often make a very effective camo effect and make reading sail numbers difficult. We used to have a member who made his own sails from clear material. With clutter and other boats behind him it was impossible to read his numbers. But I believe this is legal.

I know exactly what you mean. It it very common at Bournville ... horrible!

I think that someone got a job lot of this pvc film that is used for wrapping stuf

But it is fully compliant.

It's not too bad there since you are never more than 30 m away from the boats

Also there is no regulation of letter colours

And you get 2 red one black and various combinations.

But who cares.

On 09/07/2018 at 17:21, Bikeboy said:

Am new to this. Just bought myself a Dragon Force 65, am happy with the performance, the problem i am having is seeing it in certain positions, it' a black hull, and i think thats where the problems lies. what is the easiest colour to see on the water, i have some pink paint in a rattle can, am going to spray the sides of the hull, Is there a better colour?

Cheers Del.

Del

All my model R/C boats are white top to bottom, go to Swansea during a gale you will  clearly see the white caps there is your answer.

Dark colors show every scratch and mark which you will get if you intend to race.

Edited by Donald Cave
Additional information

We  are all are supposed to be looking at sail trim and "sail numbers" for good reason.

+++

When racing you should not  be concentrating on the hull  entirely,  what if you are sailing along side another red hull model yacht .   I wonder how many in  attendance are suffering with poor eye sight.

With model yacht zero  rudder reset, this  maintains the hull  on tract.

Technically you should only adjust the  helm if you want to alter course, reason, the rudder acts as a brake .

Stand apart sail number identifies your boat to you and others.

There will be time when you boat will be obscured by others,  maintain your course and speed being your only option at the time.

I respect the fact that we are governed by racing rules , however there are occasions  where common sense will prevail.

The variable here is  the wind, where  sail trim requires the most attention.

On big boat racing pacific sail trimmers  who  are assigned to that task, as sails trim requires constant attention, the sail trimmers have need to and  should have a relation ship with the helmsman's requirements to maintain  speed and direction ( speed wins races ) with model sailing both tasks including that of tactician are performed by the same person " its all in the thumbs ".

The art of yachting / racing is so vast it is impossible to cram it all into a nut shell.

Edited by Donald Cave
Additional Data.

SAIL NUMBERS & DRAMA      "  Drama happens" when 5 or say 6 boats are all trying to round the  3rd  up wind marker all at the same time.

Rule 18 goes out the window , as this now becomes a matter of survival , you have got a" LOG JAM "  or "GOLD RUSH before your very eyes ,if you live in Texas you could call it a Stampede of which there is no imminent stopping cause Lucy ain't .

" Its all  is in the  thumbs" and it's only blowing  17 knots, your hull is being bounced around, blocked by other boats as they jostle for position, all you have is your  Sail  Number to go by to see where you are .

The other contestants  are  calling for" water", calling 'mark room " , "go up" no sail numbers  spoken here , other peoples the babies are crying .

What is your best option in the singular?

In anticipation of what is about to happen at #3 .

My golden rule is to keep clear , get clear air, avoid being  blanketed, forget about overlaps,   crack off your sail a little,  SAIL WIDE , and go like a Bullet Train.

Edited by Donald Cave
spelling data and punctuation

go round the outside and leave them all behind, occasionally you will get caught out on the inside with no water , duck the mark and go round the outside it really does pay in the long run

Mike Ewart

2 hours ago, Mike Ewart said:

go round the outside and leave them all behind, occasionally you will get caught out on the inside with no water , duck the mark and go round the outside it really does pay in the long run

Anticipation of the inevitable is a sixth sense.

On 09/07/2018 at 21:21, Bikeboy said:

Cheers Del.

I have a White df65 and i have no problem with seeing  that. I have also just finished building a  JIF65 and that has been painted a Gloss Cream (ford i think) and that stands out on the water.

IMG_4141.JPG

The topic of colour is beyond fascination never the less very personal ,  woman in a red evening gown or a woman in a white dress  both the epitome of beauty.

It is said that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder .

However with certain industry standard  items, color affects the over all appearance and desirability  

Never the less what look good to one person may not suit another, for example, we just purchased a new car I wanted  dark grey my bride wants red and as you can imagine  the she won the day, Hey guys" keep the pease" I did not go down with out debate , however deep down I knew that red was the only colour that suited that car, it is the same with any thing  color affect the over all appeal .

A lady goes into a car dealer ship she was confronted by two  identical cars  one blue the other green  she just hated the blue , so color is a matter of personal choice we all have our favorites ,Sunday Green: Saturday Purple: Friday two year ago  Red: Thursdays to compete with  Brown's next door:Brown: Wed' and  Thurs' can't make my mind up : and now  the Monday morning blues.

On the side of practicality, White of which there are over 100 shades  can have two personalities modern or antique.

My dear friend Bikeboy ,I can't choose a colour for your yacht, no body can, it is the bridge you have to cross, and demons you have to face and all  depending on the day of the week you chose Friday two years ago.

Edited by Donald Cave
Additional data.