Sign in to follow this  
Bikeboy

The colour of your boat.

Am new to this. Just bought myself a Dragon Force 65, am happy with the performance, the problem i am having is seeing it in certain positions, it' a black hull, and i think thats where the problems lies. what is the easiest colour to see on the water, i have some pink paint in a rattle can, am going to spray the sides of the hull, Is there a better colour?

Cheers Del.

Dayglow Yellow

or

Dayglow Orange

like a Hi Vis jacket should be easy to pick out and quite distinctive

or

Yellow on Blue was chosen by the USAF and US Coastguard.

or how about a 100 mm Wide Vertical strip in Red on the black in the middle - Use Solar Film rather than paint ..its easier

I'm a fan of yellow boats. I feel like that color is easy to keep an eye on when they're a bit farther away. That's pretty much the only reason why I like yellow.

I to am a fan of Yellow, Orange and Red. Mine is RED

Snag is of the 14 active boats at out club 5 are Yellow, 3 are Orange and the rest Red so you are back to step one trying to decide which Red boat you are.

I saw a chrome spray paint o E-bay , sounds like fun, perhaps next years colour will be Black and chrome or Purple sails.

I favour yellow and luckily, so far, seem to be the only one in my club to do so. Does make picking out my boat in the pack rounding the far mark easier.

PB232493.thumb.JPG.42bf3cb8d180f136eb4062956ea8192b.JPG

PROTEST the Yellow Boat

24 is Peter Moore

505 is me

77 Don Charlesworth

75 Tony Edwards

1977421358_IOMMDCS-2018-R3-leeward-gate1.thumb.jpg.8de537faf0d7db7a383c1774442e45e3.jpg

Which of the orange boats ?

11 -me

111 Roger Donkin I think

11 H - I forget

Hi I am also new to the sport with a DF 65 and find most difficult thing is seeing things clearly at the far marks and to fine trim the sails.

Have put orange sticker kit on white hull which helps a bit but have just aquired old IOM with orange and black SAILS which when i get it refubished and on the water should help a lot ( I hope ).

Which does raise the question, all photos I have seen of IOM boats seem to have white sails, is their some sort of restriction on coloured sails ??

Peter

There are NO Restrictions imposed upon the colour of IOM sails.

However, from memory I understand that most recently IRSA Technical Committee in conjunction the IOM Class Association effectively ruled that:-

The Sail SHALL be of Uniform Colour ....

in order to comply with the requirement that sails SHALL be of Uniform PLY

We/I am not going to debate how or where the Uniformity of Yellow Ripstop Nylon Fabric differs from Blue Ripstop Nylon Fabric of the same weight / class.

I understand that IRSA and IOMIC came to this conclusion at a distance without actually examining the actual material in response to a TQ.

One might suggest that Class Rules of some full size classes impose much the same restrictions upon Uniformity of Ply without imposing Uniformity of Colour

Would World Sailing come to the same conclusion as IRSA IOMICA, you decide.

David one of the problems would be that if a boat had different colour panels it can often make a very effective camo effect and make reading sail numbers difficult. We used to have a member who made his own sails from clear material. With clutter and other boats behind him it was impossible to read his numbers. But I believe this is legal.

I know exactly what you mean. It it very common at Bournville ... horrible!

I think that someone got a job lot of this pvc film that is used for wrapping stuf

But it is fully compliant.

It's not too bad there since you are never more than 30 m away from the boats

Also there is no regulation of letter colours

And you get 2 red one black and various combinations.

But who cares.