Sign in to follow this  
GIOM

Inferring mark contact from buoy spin or bobbing.

Can boats be protested for touching a mark because someone thought they saw a buoy move when a boat was within a few feet of the far racing mark?

The wake of a boat could cause a buoy to bob or spin while being several feet away.

You may only call Contact if you are sure you saw it. Yes, marks move on the bow or stern wave, so the mark moving is not conclusive. Seeing a mark spin is a better indication of contact, and is a good reason for having stripes on the mark.

John

John Ball

IOM CAN 307 (V8)

In my private capacity

Buoys are free to move and can bob or spin just due to sudden wind gusts and wakes.

So would it not be better to ignore buoy movement and concentrate on visually checking if the boat actually touches the mark?

From my recollection.

It is a known effect that if a human continues to look at a stationary object it will appear to move after a short while and if you look at a moving object say a boat then you look at a stationary buoy the buoy will appear to move.

The only time I think contact should be called is if you actually see contact then you can not make false calls. Inferring seems to be open to personal bias which is bound to be very strong when the observer is a competitor.

I think you should be looking at the boat and the buoy not just the buoy. Having a buoy with stripes just seems to me encouragement to make inferrences rather than actual facts.

Anyone else agree?

As I understand it you should only call a contact you are 100% certain happened (ie you see happen).

Other indicators like spinning buoys or loud bangs while they may confirm what you saw are on there own not enough to call a contact.

Garry

Close but no cigar

You do not call contact with the mark if 11 is rounding it.

If 3, 21, 46, 72 or 96 is rounding you call contact even if the mark does not move .. just in case you missed the contact.

Refer to rule 902.1