Sail material

Bikeboy

No it is in english, just that the answer is not straightforward, in general I personally use both scrim and film, I would not use dacron in these days for racing sails, but would use on a yacht that is not intended for racing, as to scrim or film, in general scrim is quite often used for sails for the stronger winds and the film for light airs, it this is not exclusive, I have alight wind scrim suit for a six metre and reduced area film suit for an A class, it often depends on what your sailmaker prefers.

Maybe that's why you haven't had any answers as their is no definitive correct answer

Mike Ewart

• 3 weeks later...

Not really, I would have thought most people must have a preference, Am sure a lot of people are on a budget, i am as this is not my only hobby, so if you had to make a choice, what would you choose? and why.

My view, if you sail a class such as DF or IOM and sail regularly you are going to get creases/ wringles/ damage to your sails - fact. However, the best performance in light airs will come from film as it reacts better and gives more information back in light breeze. In a heavier breeze the sailcloth/ weight etc are less important than durability and strength- plus you don't use them as often, so i would be happy with heavy film or scrim.

So, for me, i would accept damage/ replacements of A rig sails but be happy to sail with scrim sails on the lower rigs as these would not be as sensitive to the breeze.

BTW I know of two Marblehead's that sail with film and Dacron sails stamped in the 1990's and still wins races!

Darin