Sign in to follow this  
bbdave

Class dilema

I am looking to get back into radio sailing I used to sail IOM 8 or so years ago. I have a club not to far away amongst others they sail df95s and IOMs for a little more than a new ready to go df95 I think I can get a second hand IOM some of the guys in the club have offered various boats already so my dilema is what should I go for?

Dave

Unfortunately or fortunately depending who you listen to I would say you have a dilemma, what I would say is you can get a top competitive DF95 for a lot less than a good not even a top IOM, but it is worth looking at how often they sail each class and when then you can see what suits you better

Mike Ewart

There is an abundance of Used IOM boats available at any time on the MYA forum.

There a similarly an abundance of reasonable low priced New IOM boats available in a price range of £600 to £700 as a complete hull.

You CAN build a No1 rig for under £90 and a No2 rig for about the same

Wedge and Slintill or what ever it is called being my favourite

Yes somewhat more costly than a pop-out boat but the do not be fooled by the fist cost of a pop-out boat. By the time you have all the up-grades etc you are almost there

In as much as the older boats not being competitive is concerned:-

Study the list of entries at the ranking just passed you will see a wide verity of boat being sailed NOT all Britpop's, V10 or Suduchie

There was at least one 20 year old Lintel with the tastiest sails one could imagine who, in a spectacular display of skill , convincingly won one race. Many others did the same.

A 15 year old Pikanto was very handy the entire weekend winning a number of heats in convincing style

But ALL had Fun and only 2 protests - all against me so I had fun and my faith restored in the Protest System

There were at least two home built wooden boat at the 2018 nationals. Both sailed in the A and B fleets most of the time with great skill.

So ....There is really NO dilemma is there! its an IOM first and a pop-out second

mm

Don't only look at the classes sailed at your proposed club but also what class is best supported by the local District. I suspect the answer to the District support will come down in favour of the IOM. If this is the case I would definitely choose the IOM as it would give you greater opportunities to race.

Also a good quality IOM bought secondhand will retain it's resale value if maintained well. This enables you to upgrade with minimal financial loss.

As you have by now guessed the IOM would be my choice.

Eric

Thanks for the input I'll have to see what's within budget when I come to buy though I have been offered a Lintle (which I'm told is over weight no idea how to solve that) and a Shiraz but I will have to see if they are still available when I'm in the market.

Dave