To IRSA Membership IRSA

EC COMMUNIQUE 28th April 2014

April 2014

By now you should all be about to submit your ballot papers on the various agenda

items requiring your vote and have set up communication with the General Secretary

(Richard Rowan) to enable you to participate in the 2014 General Assembly starting

4th May 2014.

We would appreciate it if you consider the following before completing the ballot paper

for Agenda Item 11 Election of Officers.

1. Since the 2009 General Assembly IRSA was born and the constitution has been

developed discussed and amended with ISAF and the IRSA membership to mirror

the ISAF model. In this model the IRSA membership embraces the countries and

IRSA promotes and provides support to class associations without taking away

their autonomy. The International Sailing Federation acknowledged that this

arrangement best suited our sport. At no stage during this process did any of our

members indicate that this was not the direction in which IRSA should follow or

propose any alternatives.

2. It is unfortunate that the members driving the CEFFIE campaign have once again

resurrected the issue of a class association driven organisation. This was first

proposed by them prior to the 2009 General Assembly and which the membership

almost universally rejected at that time.

3. The only way they can achieve their goal is by nominating a full complement of

candidates under the name of CEEFIE with little regard to the specific portfolio

and intention of the IRSA Constitution. They have turned the process into a farce

with their nomination of an individual resident in France to represent the Americas.

This is a case of finding anyone to stand as long as they support their cause.

International

4. CEEFIE has questioned the transparency of IRSA and have neglected to

acknowledge the numerous reports provided to you by our Publicity Officer.

Secrecy has not played a part in the functioning of IRSA as they suggest.

5. The current IRSA Executive Committee supports and encourages multiple

nominations for the various positions. However a block vote such as CEFFIE is

proposing will see the disintegration of IRSA and have a negative effect on radio

sailing into the future.

We would wish that in selecting the various candidates, you exercise your vote in line

with your previous support of the direction in which IRSA has been moving.

IRSA Executive Committee

Signed By

Des Fairbank

Chairman

Graham,

What is the process for voting? - Member Countries

Is it the MYA council that votes for the IRSA candidates that have been nominated? YES

If so is there any information as to who is being voted for? on the IRSA Website

I must confess that you surprised and somewhat confused me by your question particularly as you, up until a relatively short time ago, a few months, were a relatively long standing member of the MYA Council.

Are you implying that during your five or so year tenure as a member of this MYA Council you never took part in a debate as to who the MYA should elect / vote each year to the IRSA Executive Committee.

I might not be correct but I understand that it is Rob Walsh who, as International MYA Secretary, casts the MYA Vote at the International Radio Sailing Association, IRSA. I understand it is he who has for sometime represented the MYA at the General Assembly and will do so at the IRSA General Assembly between 4th to 10th May 2014.

One is confident that the MYA Council reviewed all the items on the General Assembly agenda each year and agreed upon a how their delegate should and will vote and that this year will be no exception.

But you probably forgot all of this and quite rightly as you were away on extended vacation in Monaco and sailing the Med at the time. This being the perfect time of year to visit the Mediterranean

Dave

I read with interest the posts by both Graham Allan and Dave Alston and have to agree with what they ask, but do disagree with the personal comments that were made about Graham and am surprised that the Moderator allowed them to be published. However don't want to be drawn into an argument except to say we should all remember the hard work that Graham Allan put into the MYA, which we are all grateful for. Even now he continues to help us, although more in the background. But i digress.

A few weeks ago as secretary of the NMYC i was asked by the Eastern District to canvas our members as to the voting for the IRSA Committee. This i did and submitted the results accordingly. Subsequently we were advised by Eastern District as to the overall result from the Eastern district Clubs that voted.

Since then no further communication has been received.

Therefore i would now ask the MYA, after having collated all the results from the various Districts, which of the candidates have been put forward for the various Posts, or directions as to where this information can be obtained?

I know that it is rather bad form to let the facts get in the way of a good argument, but there are a couple that might be worth mentioning.

a farce with their nomination of an individual resident in France to represent the Americas

The late Ken Roberts (GBR) was the ISAF-RSD Regional Officer Oceania from 1999 to 2001. I don't know that anyone called that a farce. In any case, it is for the voters to make their choice, since there are two candidates for the office, and both sides have nominated a candidate accordingly. It is of course natural that, if regional representation is to continue, the representative should be from the region. However, CEEFIE have made no secret of their intention, if voted in, to remove regional representation FROM THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE (it REMAINS in IRSA DNM representation) and to replace it with class representation. The CEEFIE proposals are to establish class committees to reverse the decline of the International classes which have IRSA as their International Class Association. It is quite unclear how past Regional Officers have particularly contributed to IRSA by virtue of being Regional representatives, though their other contributions have doubtless been valuable. And again, it is for the voters to make their choice.

the CEFFIE campaign have once again resurrected the issue of a class association driven organisation. This was first proposed by them prior to the 2009 General Assembly and which the membership almost universally rejected at that time

What the DNMs rejected in 2009 was a transformation of ISAF-RSD into only an international multi-class association. No problem with such rejection, and there remains no problem. CEEFIE will MAINTAIN the existing regional and country representation by the DNM representatives. Instead, the CEEFIE proposals are to establish class committees to reverse the decline of the International classes which have IRSA as their International Class Association.

• 2 months later...

Lester / Graham / Terry

After your successful election to the IRSA organisation is there any new to be reported on what has been achieved in the short term and what is in the planning stage for the future. I do go to the IRSA web site but as always there is little to see. I see there is now 3 post unfilled as the last officers have stood down, what are the plans for filling the positions as they appear to be integral to the smooth running of IRSA.

It would be good to receive regular updates from your guys especially as you claimed transparency in your manifesto prior to election which I applaud.

Regards,

Hi Graham

You are correct on our willingness to have transparency however we have to fill the recent vacated positions of Publicity, Racing, Secretary and Treasurer positions but are following IRSA constitution to the letter and as a consequence we have to have a period of time to allow any additional nominations to be made before co option. We have notified all DNM via letter together with a copy of our current agenda advising of the resignations.

One of the resignations also looked after the website and its access and we are currently reviewing that process as we speak but rest assured business is ongoing with the remaining 7 members of the EC via the committee forum and are in constant communication with each other and working through our actions accordingly.

It was somewhat a timing issue as when the resignations were made 4 of the EC were in Holland for the world championships (3 as competitors and 1 as IRSA rep) wifi reception at the sailing club was non existent so communication was a little hap hazard but we all managed to discuss the matter online over the week we were there.

I can assure you that 100% communication will be restored as soon as possible.

Terry

Terry Rensch

Chair MYA