Sign in to follow this  
frayz

Starting out - Advise for a beginner in radio yachting

Evening all,

I've been into RC racing for many years and in numerous forms, mostly 1/10 touring car and 1/8 buggy. However im now 35 and living right near the water, in Essex. I happened to see a few senior chaps at my local Prom running RC yachts and thought how nice it looked. Im also a keen kite flyer, so the appeal of combining 2 of my interests, this wind powered RC stuff seems right up my street.

I also like how technical it is, not to mention how much cheaper it is than other forms of RC racing, especially when you look at the DF series of boats.

So as i mention the DF series, mostly the DF65. What do i need to get started, any do's/donts for a beginner?

Which batteries are you guys finidng best?

Am i okay with a single rig to begin with?

New boat or SH? I like teh idea of building up a new one as it gets you familair with the model.

Anything else i need to know?

Thanks for your time - Frayz.

Kind regards

Frayz Cohen,

Essex UK

I would suggest speaking with Mike one of the " founding fathers" for the Df65 at www.radiosailing.co.uk. He is just across the river from you and will also be able to direct you to the best option fir sailing in Essex.

A new Df65 with perhaps three rigs is very good value, but will leave that to Mike

Most important thing before you buy a boat is what do the locals sail. No point in buying most A if every one else has boat B, the best part of radio sailing is racing others and to do that you need the same type of boat. So first thing to do is talk to the locals and see what they sail.

Thanks guys, great info.

I think my local guys sail at Heybridge Basin which is walking distance from me. I’ll have to pop down.

Kind regards

Frayz Cohen,

Essex UK

Chelmsford Radio Y C sail on the training lake at Heybridge Basin on Sunday and Tuesday mornings , you would be most welcome to come along and have a go. We sail One Metres and are reasonably friendly.

Cheers Alf. Popped down this morning but typically rhis weekend was cancelled due to the lake being used by full size yachts. Hope to pop down next weekend if I can.

Now to read about IOMs

Kind regards

Frayz Cohen,

Essex UK