Peter J King

Installing r/c equipment

Hi, I have modelled for years with boats including non class r/c yachts, but a close friend has asked me to install r/c into his 10 rather, I need to know the best form of control over the sails and the recommended type of winch to use, could anyone give me some very basic help, many thanks, Peter

Hi Mike, many thanks for that information, it will be a great help, if I could pick your brains on one other thing, would an off the shelf standard servo be man enough to control the rudder on a 10 rather? Once again though, thanks, Peter

Standard servo torque wise would be fine but if you can choose a half decent waterproof one it would be better. Hitec HS-646WP HV Waterproof which is high voltage too.

Having just detonated a self tensioning drum, I have to say I have moved over to a standard drum with a separate block/spring arrangement to add tension. to the winch line.

The self tensioning drums are very clean and convenient, however are a known failure point in the system. I'm sure many people have had great success with them, just offering another view.

I must confess that initially I was very suspicious of the Self Tensioning Drum . But after several rubber tensioner failed due to my neglect I went  down this road. If you use it correctly it is very reliable . I found the secret is not to over tension it, about 3/4 to 1 turn . Beyond that the fun begins . Also you must always secure the top screw ... it you don't they can split in two

And clearly don't wind layer of string on it , I have about 2 turns on the drum

But to each his own , I cannot stand springs and elastic carp chord

Dave

Just playing with this new site - it great on my pc but hell on my phone

Edited by Dave Alston