6 metre rig rule

Downbytheriver

At our club we have a good 6 metre fleet but we basically all have A rigs and nothing else - this suits everyone just fine and if there is too much wind we don’t race. 

I am looking to race further afield this year and have ordered new sails for A and B rigs. I have read that only one mast is allowed - so sails have to be changed on that mast. Is this correct? Presumably this also applies to the main boom? Are separate jib booms allowed? Is there anything else I should know? 

I have also bought the plans for Frank Russell’s Cerberus design with a mind to building one- is anyone else looking at this? 

While I do sail other classes, my fascination with the sixes is becoming an obsession! 

Hi First to declair an interest I have a Six for sale. With 3 rigs. Yes you can only have one Mast so its best to get a Groovy mast each Jid can have its own boom. I have Down loaded the Frank Russell plans not sure about them I thinkif I was going to build my first Six I would look at Graham Bantocks "Rococo" I am currently rebuilding a Wood "Rococo" and have just finished fitting out a Carbon "Rococo" for a club member, its worth buying a set of plans form Graham just to look at them and always remember there are lot of  "Roicoco" owners out there who will share info with you Regards JohnK

Hi Dbtr,

Just to confirm what John says, yes you are limited to one mast but you can have a different jib boom for each suit of sails which can be helpful in keeping the jib in good condition when not in use as well as speeding up a rig change. At least with 6mRs you tend not to have to change quite as often than some other classes. The main boom would not need to be changed as smaller mains rely on shortening the luff measurement whilst keeping the foot measurement the same as the top suit/measured value.

I'm aware that there are members of the Two Islands club who have bought the plans and intend to build, so you would not be alone.

Which club are you at ? 

Cheers, Shaun.

I don't think there is any great disadvantage in having luff rings or ties so long as the mast hardware  (spreaders and backstay crane)  can be removed so that the sail can be slipped on. Some might argue that the luff ringed/tied sail sets better  when fully sheeted out for downwind legs too.