Following on from our recent announcement of the Biggest Little Boat Bash, we can now expand on the format.
The intention of the event is to get as many members and radio sailors in the UK and globally to participate as possible, therefore the race format is very simple.
- Set a windward/leeward course so that the total race is approx 600 metres (this can be via a physical measure if you are at a traditional lake, or via google maps etc if you sail at a lake with a restricted control area)
- Time all the yachts around the course (most phones nowadays have a timer function) by recording the start time of the race and then the individual finishing times
- Record the wind speed.
- Repeat the process for each race so that each sailor has a time for each race.
- Make a separate sheet of each competitor’s fastest time. (the fastest out of the three attempts)
- Send the fastest time to the Bart’s Bash team explaining what club you are from with details of the race including sailor’s names, their class of boat, their fastest time and the wind speed.
The aim is to get 3 races completed and each sailor counts their fastest race. All the data is then collected by the clubs and sent to the Andrew Simpson Foundation who will calculate an overall result sheet for every RC sailor who has entered. From this there will be an overall winner for each IRSA, MYA and MYA affiliated class, and although this event is about charity and participation the winning skipper from each category will have their name published on the Bart’s Bash and MYA website as recognition.
More information and a few ideas for fundraising can be found on the MYA BLBB webpage: https://mya-uk.org.uk/barts-bash-the-biggest-little-boat-bash/
Check with your club, district or class to see how you can get involved with this great event and help the Andrew Simpson Foundation. https://andrewsimpsonfoundation.org/
Outside of the UK, not a problem just contact the MYA Racing Officer or the Bart’s Bash race team (https://www.bartsbash.com/) and they will help to sign you and your club up.